A-10 women’s lax notebook: George Mason continues win streak, SJU and GW fall

The George Mason women’s lacrosse team won its fourth straight game with a 10-9 victory over Coastal Carolina on Monday.

Senior Katie Mascolo led the Patriots with three goals, while junior Kirstin Russell finished with two.

With the score tied at 1-1 early in the first half, George Mason (4-2) followed with two straight goals by Russell.

Following a 2-1 Coastal Carolina (2-4) run over the following seven minutes, the Chanticleers then scored three straight goals to close out the first half to take a 6-4 lead.

After Coastal Carolina opened the second half with another goal, the Patriots then permanently took the lead with six straight scores.

The Chanticleers attempted a comeback behind two goals in the last 10 minutes of the game, but the Patriots held on for the one-point win.

Although Coastal Carolina finished with a slim 11-10 advantage in draw controls, George Mason held the advantage in attempted shots (21-7) and ground balls (16-15).

The Patriots play Presbyterian on Friday to wrap up their road trip before hosting Marist on Monday.

Manhattan tops St. Joe’s

Behind three goals from sophomore Kaitlyn Cunningham, Manhattan picked up its first win of the season with a 13-6 victory over Saint Joseph’s on Saturday.

Following a game-opening score by Hawks’ sophomore Kelly Phelan, the Jaspers responded with three consecutive goals.

St. Joe’s (2-3) scored the next two goals behind senior Val Paolucci and freshman Nora McCallion to tie the game at 3-3 midway through the first half.

Manhattan scored the next six points and extended the lead to 9-4 with eight minutes, 31 seconds left in the second half.

St. Joe’s will next play on Tuesday against Stetson.

George Washington falls to No. 14 Johns Hopkins

No. 14 Johns Hopkins scored the first nine goals of the game en route to a 17-3 blowout victory over George Washington on Saturday.

The loss was the Colonials’ second-straight defeat at the hands of a nationally-ranked team, as they also lost to No. 20 Navy last Wednesday.
Michaela Lynch, Allie Rash and Olivia Boudreau each tallied a goal for the Colonials (3-3), who will host Mount St. Mary’s on Wednesday.

Lauren McArdle can be reached at [email protected].