A final warning about Blarney Blowout

Police officers, one of whom is pictured here armed with pepper spray gun, prepare to clear an area of Brandywine during "Blarney Blowout" on Saturday, March 8. (Conor Snell/Daily Collegian)
Police officers, one of whom is pictured here armed with a pepper spray gun, prepare to clear an area of Brandywine during “Blarney Blowout” on Saturday, March 8. (Conor Snell/Daily Collegian)

I would like to thank Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life and Dean of Students Enku Gelaye for being so kind as to send me an email last week to remind me of the highlight of the weekend’s events – Blarney Blowout.

This year’s event was particularly spectacular, with hordes of green clad students beginning their march as early as 8 a.m. in some places in town (the bars opened at their earliest legal time – 11:30 a.m.) By noon, dispersal orders, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness charges had been handed out like candy among the crowds as our local Amherst Police Department (APD) struggled to contain the mess. All in all, the collective drinking binge lasted for approximately 20 hours. And it was possibly the worst we’ve ever seen.

Each year, Blarney Blowout makes an enormous spectacle of why the University of Massachusetts is known as the “Zoo,” and each year the administration attempts to fight back. This year, its tactic was to email the entire student body a warning of the potential consequences of participating in the Blowout – increased police presence, ramifications under the student code of conduct and warnings of parental notifications.

At face value, this is an email sent with the good intention of curbing rowdiness with a warning – in practice, this allows the University to maintain to the public that they are fighting the problem, which is necessary because of the way that public opinion can turn on an organization that fails to act.

But while the University has managed to protect its own image by publicly denouncing the event, they may have been the very cause of this year’s particularly bad Blarney Blowout. By emailing the student body, the University simultaneously reminded every student about the event. And by making it sound so grave, they imbued the students with the idea that this would be an event of epic proportions, incensing student participation rather than thwarting it. This year’s blowout was so big that several major news outlets reported on it, as well as social-media targeted news sources like BuzzFeed.

The concept of reverse psychology has been popularized enough by media to be universally known – if you advocate against a certain behavior, you can expect that behavior to be observed. For all of the grandeur of our psychology department, the administration seems to be failing in taking lessons from their past mistakes.

When the Patriots were in the Super Bowl, we received an email asking us to enjoy the game responsibly. Ten minutes after, the student body was abuzz with chatter over the possibility of a post-game riot, which then happened. Whenever the University decides to predict what the students will do, they generate a self-fulfilling prophecy – bad behavior is incited by the expectation of bad behavior.

So after the administration incites massive disturbances of the peace, the police are left to clean up the mess. The Massachusetts Daily Collegian reported use of pepper spray, dispersal orders and shutdown bus services near Puffton to control the crowd. What The Collegian did not report was the additional use of tear gas and rubber bullet rounds fired to contain the crowd. One engineering student walking home from the gym on Saturday afternoon reported being fired at by police with rubber bullet rounds and witnessing tear gas grenades being deployed.

These are intense measures used by police forces in cases of extreme crowd violence, and they are being used on students guilty of what could otherwise be labeled as an “uproar.” In the riots that occurred in Southwest following the Osama bin Laden assassination, students were similarly drunk, lighting fire and fireworks off into the sky. That night, the University of Massachusetts Police Department (UMPD) decided that this uproar did not require tear gas, but simply a dispersal order. The day following that riot, the administration released an email to the student body commending us on our respectable conduct. Evidently, it’s all about the reason that the students get drunk and disorderly that begs both the administration and the police to react differently.

Blarney Blowout is a travesty that occurs year after year. I have, for four years, witnessed vomit in the streets, extreme interpersonal abuse and violence. I have heard tales so horrifying, so indescribably harrowing, that sharing them in a Collegian op-ed would be beyond inappropriate and possibly violate a few Federal Communications Commision regulations. Even worse, the bars and the students have embraced “Halfway to Blarney Blowout,” because waiting a whole year in between incidents just became too much.

Through all of this, the administration of our school remains more focused on maintaining their own image than taking real, positive steps toward reform. As a business, they refuse to accept the reality that, as they increase the student population size, they increase the student behavioral issues and that the town of Amherst does not get larger simply because the University wants to believe it can. Either the administration has failed to recognize this and is seriously wanting for better personnel, or they refuse to admit it and are exacerbating a problem under full awareness, an act tantamount to criminal neglect.

The chancellor of this “Zoo” has promised that his administration will “redouble … its efforts to avert future episodes.” I grow extremely wary of the efforts Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy means to take, as I have spent four years witnessing punitive measures being held in priority over real reform.

As this is my final semester with the campus community, I leave the student readers, the administration and the townspeople with a final warning – if the University continues to expand its student body to 30,000 and beyond and if the University continues to be more liable to fight the students than work with them, we will begin to see events that make Saturdays look tame, and we will have tragedies that far outweigh mere disturbances. It’s just a matter of time.

Adam Terry is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at [email protected].