Stars align for another fashionable awards season

Lupita Nyong'o on stage during the 86th annual Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT)
Lupita Nyong’o on stage during the 86th annual Academy Awards on Sunday, March 2. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Once again, this awards season brought us lots of memorable styles from our favorite stars. Fashion mavens who grace the red carpet every year continued to please, while stars new to the scene have rightfully earned their spots on the Best-Dressed list. Here’s our thanks to the fashion designers who keep these celebrities looking great, keep our favorite trends alive and provide us with the new ones to chase each season.

This year, solid colors were popular among dress choices. Sandra Bullock and Lupita Nyong’o rocked blue hues in their most memorable looks from the Oscars and Screen Actors Guild Awards, respectively. When it comes to Nyong’o, there’s certainly a reason why everyone is calling the “12 Years A Slave” star Hollywood’s new “It Girl.” Her red carpet style and first Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress say it all.

Model Chrissy Teigen rang spring in early with a floral high-low Monique Lhuillier gown at the Oscars and dazzled in a fitted Johanna Johnson gown at the Grammys, matching the ceremony’s gold-plated gramophone trophy. Mrs. John Legend consistently impressed as she stole the spotlight at the premier events celebrating both music and film

America’s sweetheart Julia Roberts took the peplum trend to a whole new level in a gorgeous black Givenchy gown at the Oscars, complete with lace trim around the neckline. Jennifer Lawrence rocked a peplum at the Oscars as well, proving that this trend isn’t just a one-hit wonder of 2013.

For Lawrence, the current face of fashion line Christian Dior, the awards season is a showcase of some of the label’s best looks. At January’s SAG Awards, she wore a form fitting black dress that sparkled like a disco ball, while she wowed in a white tiered dress at the Golden Globes.

Backless dresses were also a favorite among celebs this year. At the Grammys, Beyoncé’s flawless Michael Costello dress looked as if the designer himself had airbrushed the intricate floral lace design onto her body. The unforgettable dress, which left little to the imagination, stole the show at the ceremony.

Like Teigen, Maria Menounos opted for a beautiful Johanna Johnson creation as well. Her backless white Oscars dress flowed perfectly into a train, creating a Greek goddess look.

As always, black dresses remain a formal go-to – but this year, they almost always came with statement jewelry pieces. Emma Roberts and Sofia Vergara had the same idea at this year’s Globes, pairing simple black numbers with turquoise accessories. Although both dresses are extravagant on their own, the burst of color vamps up the simplicity of the black and adds to the eye-catching factor of each look.

On the more vibrant end of the spectrum, Taylor Swift and Giuliana Rancic both wore eye-catching red at the Globes. With its black bodice, Swift’s red dress is just one example of color blocking seen this season. Amy Adams and Sandra Bullock wore dresses in this style as well, with Bullock’s pink, black and blue garb landing her among the best-dressed at the ceremony.

When all is said and done, these celebrities’ styles aren’t actually all that different from those of us college girls – besides, of course, the price tag. We love a nice classy black dress on the weekend, or perhaps a peplum skirt with a statement necklace, all of which can be found at a local Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe. So watch out Hollywood – with a quick trip to the mall, we too can be ready for the red carpet.

Brittaney Lynch can be reached at [email protected].