The hollow chant of ‘Boston Strong’

Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald/MCT
Angela Rowlings/Boston Herald/MCT

Stunned, saddened and angered all barely describe how everyone, especially Massachusetts residents and Bostonians, felt after the terrorist attack last year at the Boston Marathon. I have grown up on the marathon route by Heartbreak Hill and have attended most marathons as a spectator since I was three years old. Additionally, having had a good friend whom I served with in Afghanistan within feet of the second blast as he was completing the race, I was just as upset and angry as anyone else. It is important, however, in any time of tragedy to not overreact. Cries of patriotism lead us into a decade long war in Iraq and a war that continues 13 years later in Afghanistan. We live with a level of surveillance unprecedented in our history that crosses party lines and shows little sign of relenting. I fear the cries of “Boston Strong” are hollow as we watch yet another example of terrorists beating us exactly as they planned.

The words “Boston Strong” are meant to convey that we will not allow fear to overcome, that we will not allow the cold and calculating actions of a couple of crazed individuals who convinced themselves to hate our way of life to control our lives. The manhunt which immediately followed the bombing was the first in a series of overreactions, with fleets of armored vehicles deployed in suburban neighborhoods and SWAT officers pointing rifles at families through the windows of their own homes. Actions needed to be taken to apprehend the individuals who were obviously very dangerous, but Americans should never accept having guns pointed at their family members for looking out the window. We should not be ok with being treated as a foreign enemy when in our own homes, no matter the circumstances.

In the end the surviving suspect was apprehended and we can hope that the immediate police reaction we saw to the bombings was an anxiety-fueled anomaly and not the new norm to dealing with amateur terrorists in the United States.

So now we must ask, what does “Boston Strong” mean going forward? We expected to see an uptick in security, but it would appear with this year’s regulations relating to the Marathon, “Boston Strong” means giving the Tsarnaev brothers exactly what they wanted. They hate freedom; we now have less.

A reasonable reaction, and to a degree had already been in place, would be an increase in the presence of bomb dogs and police officers, as well as better training to look for warning signs of potential terrorist activities. There also needs to be a recognition that in a free society complete security does not exist. The immediate reaction to the bombings medically and on the Marathon route was excellent due to prior proper planning. However, Boston now resembles a city that bows down to terrorists and compromises the way it runs traditional events. It does so to such an extent that  there is no question in my mind that “Boston Strong” means nothing beyond a chant.

The Boston Athletic Association has posted new rules for this marathon which range from inconvenient to downright submission. The worst part is, none of these rules make anybody safer, but they do pull tradition and patriotism from the event. During the other 364 days a year nothing stops a bomber from getting on a crowded train, and even at the Marathon a suicide vest remains easily concealable under a light fitting sweatshirt. Regardless, we have limits on carrying of bags, and wearing various types of clothes by the start and finish lines.

While inconvenient, these restrictions don’t necessarily infringe on the tradition of the marathon. It doesn’t end there as there are more restrictions so over the top that they effectively change the event. Runners will no longer be allowed in a bulky costume or one that covers their face. Costumed runners are a traditional part of every Boston Marathon I have attended in the last 20 years. It gets worse, as no signs or flags more than 11 by 17 inches will be permitted, for safety, of course.

The most remarkable decision they have made, however, is saved for last. Military units, such as the University of Massachusetts ROTC, as well as the Boston Marathon Tough Ruck which raises money for families of fallen soldiers, will not be permitted to participate. The idea that active duty military members and veterans, and future officers in America’s armed forces cannot be trusted to hike 26 miles with 50-plus pounds of gear to honor dead soldiers, primarily who were victims of the war on terror, is insulting. I doubt anyone predicted it as fallout from the bombing, but has become a truth in the aftermath. All of this is the epitome of giving in to terrorism.

Shouting “Boston Strong” means nothing if Bostonians are willing to rollover and allow marathon organizers to give terrorists exactly what in the name of fake security. None of these restrictions will prevent any terrorist attack, but what they will do is damage the tradition of freedom and pride that comes with the Boston Marathon. As a friend and classmate said so wisely, “We as Americans are giving up so many things that could have never been taken from us by force.” This is exactly what Tsarnaev brothers wanted, and those hollowly shouting “Boston Strong” appear to be giving in to them without a fight. I hope to see hikers ignoring this ridiculous decree, and people running proudly with the American flag as they always have. Until I see it, however, I unfortunately remain very skeptical as to how “Boston Strong” we really are. If you have pride in your city or nation, this should make you furious.

Michael Ball is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at [email protected].