Everything comes ‘full circle’ for Tim Cassidy, UMass baseball

Courtesy UMass Athletics
Courtesy UMass Athletics

It’s been a long journey back to the rubber for the Massachusetts baseball team’s Tim Cassidy.

As a freshman in 2012, Cassidy pitched sparingly out of the bullpen, compiling just 9.2 innings of work. He started just one game and was relegated to the bench after a few tough appearances out of the bullpen. Going into his sophomore campaign, Cassidy was excited to improve and optimistic he would have the chance to contribute to the UMass pitching staff.

He never got the chance.

Cassidy suffered a torn labrum in his right hip near the end of winter workouts, not long before the season was scheduled to begin. The injury prematurely ended his season and he received a medical redshirt.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound right hander from Swampscott was devastated.

“I worked so hard to get prepared for the year,” Cassidy said. “To pull up short like that so close to the season was one of the worst feelings imaginable.”

Instead of continuing his development as a pitcher, Cassidy was stuck watching from the bench.

“It’s absolutely frustrating being on the sidelines when you feel like you can contribute,” he said.

“All I wanted to do was get back out on the field.”

Cassidy’s rehab was intense. Starting immediately after surgery, he underwent physical therapy seven days a week, starting out with  light stretching so he could start walking again.

Two weeks after surgery, he was put on a machine to help him regain movement in his hip. For the next three weeks, Cassidy was on the machine six hours a day. He didn’t start throwing until the 2013 season was already over.

After being limited in fall ball, Cassidy finally participated fully in winter workouts this offseason. He’s already appeared in four games for UMass this year and is back to throwing in the mid-to-upper 80s.

But Wednesday marks a big milestone for Cassidy. Against Boston College, he’ll start his first game for the Minutemen in over two years.

It’s just the second start of Cassidy’s career. In his previous start on March 21, 2012 against Monmouth, Cassidy threw five innings, allowing one earned run while ultimately taking the loss in a 2-1 setback for UMass.

“Pitching against a team that won their division, you want to prove you can handle pitching at that level. Although we lost, I felt I showed potential.” Cassidy said.

Cassidy will have to bring a similar effort against the Eagles. Playing in the Atlantic Coast Conference, one of the elite baseball conferences in the nation, BC is battle-tested and playing its first game at home all season.

“They have a tradition of success and I am very excited to pitch against them,” he said.

Cassidy feels ready for the challenge and noted the importance of earning another opportunity to start. After a year of painful rehab, he is also grateful.

“I’m very excited,” Cassidy said.

“I put in so much work to get back to this point and to finally come full circle is a very, satisfying feeling.”

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Ross Collegian.