Morning Wood: When in doubt, grab a Platinum

Flickr/Brent Schmidt
Flickr/Brent Schmidt

I know a good craft beer when I see one.

In all my years of drinking, I’ve settled for nothing but the best: Coors, Miller, PBR, you name it. If it’s craft, chances are I’ve consumed it.

But on Saturday night, my friends introduced me to a different kind of brew that turned my drinking life upside down: Bud Light Platinum.

Brewed at Anheuser-Busch Companies in St. Louis, Mo., Bud Light Platinum – also known as a “Platty” – is not your typical Bud product. This brew not only has fewer calories than a Budweiser (137 per bottle as opposed Bud’s 145) but also has a higher alcohol by volume (6 percent to Bud’s 5), making it the perfect combination of healthy and classy.

I’m the type of guy who believes that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. So the idea of Anheuser-Busch trying to alter the immortal Bud Light initially seemed blasphemous to me, making me hesitant to try it at first. But when I was handed the clear blue bottle with the word “Platinum” prominently emblazoned down the front of the bottle just below the signature Bud Light label, that’s when I knew that this triple-filtered premium light beer was one of a kind.

Bud Light Platinum pours out a dark yellowish tone which resembles that of a dehydrated person’s urine, so I would suggest drinking straight out of the bottle rather than using a glass. But, as many of you may know, looks can be deceiving, and Bud Light Platinum is a master in the art of deception.

The first sip offers a divine sweetness that sends the taste buds through an orgasmic rush of satisfaction. With each sip, it only gets better. The hops were so potent that it had me jumping – even hopping – out of my seat. But at the same time, it had a finish so smooth that it put my own charisma to shame.

You might be reading this and wondering: What makes Bud Light Platinum so different from Bud Light? Well, if you think Bud Light is a craft brew, Bud Light Platinum is even craftier.

When brewing a Platty, the beer-makers at Anheuser-Busch take a secret craft potion labeled “Platinum” and dump an excessive dose into each batch, giving it an unmatched aroma and texture that is as breath-taking as it is crafty.

Coupled with pizza, wings or some other greasy, fatty food, Bud Light Platinum is a perfect way to boost your self-confidence with a reduced-calorie – even if it’s just minimal – option. But if you’re looking for a good time, a Platty can suffice on its own. The explosion of flavor that comes with each sip will satisfy every beer-drinker’s need and also make you the most popular person at the party.

Whenever I have a Platty in hand, all the ladies come to me, and I doubt it’s for my rockin’ body and boyish charm, either. Men, I promise it can work for you too.

So if you really are up for whatever, make it a Platinum.

Pilbo Baggins can be reached at [email protected]