UMass baseball begins homestand with a battle against UConn

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

Just a week ago, the Massachusetts baseball team lamented a lack of late-game execution in an 8-5 loss to Connecticut at Earl Lorden Field.

Now the Minutemen have a chance to make due on numerous missed opportunities as they will yet again host the Huskies on Wednesday in a battle of regional rivals at 3 p.m. The game kicks off a nine-game UMass homestand, which runs through May 13 and features six games against Atlantic 10 opponents as the Minutemen jostle for position in the conference standings. Currently, UMass is two games out of the final seed for the conference tournament.

Minutemen coach Mike Stone is optimistic that a chance to settle into a routine will be beneficial for a club that’s dealt with its fair share of traveling.

“We haven’t played that many games at home to begin with (this season),” Stone said. “It’s just nice to be off the road. (We have to) take advantage of playing at home…you feel more confident playing at home than on the road.”

The last time UMass (9-26) played an extended home schedule, it won four of seven games at Earl Lorden Field. But the Minutemen couldn’t sustain the run, losing six of their next eight games including the only home game in that span, the 8-5 loss to UConn (21-22).

Stone noted his team’s struggled to clear that elusive final obstacle and string together strong performances.

“We’re competing, we’re right there,” he said. “We just need to play better at the end of the game and more games will go our way.”

UMass received a quality performance in its last appearance from pitcher Andrew Grant, who tossed a complete game against Fordham on Sunday en route to a 4-1 victory. Grant pitched himself out a jam in the ninth inning to preserve the win in a performance that Stone said was comprised of the requisite competitiveness and focus needed to win close games.

Now, the Minutemen will hand the ball to freshman pitcher Ryan Moloney against the Huskies. Moloney, who earned the start in the Beanpot Championship against Harvard, has a 6.64 ERA in 10 appearances.

“He competes out there for a young guy,” Stone said. “We think he’s gonna be a real good pitcher for us hopefully at the end of this season and in the future.”

Moloney, who offers multiple breaking pitches and has drawn praise from Stone in the past, is tasked with continuing the momentum put in place by Grant.

“I do believe in momentum,” Stone said. “If you’re playing well and winning games and in a good rhythm as a team, that helps you win the next game, especially in baseball.”

UMass has found itself in competitive situations throughout most of the year but has failed to capitalize, amassing a record of 7-18 in games decided by three runs or less. Stone’s preached late-game execution throughout the season and is still seeing mixed results.

Against the Huskies a week ago, the Minutemen put runners on base in each of the final three innings but couldn’t mount a serious rally. With time running out on the season, there’s an increased emphasis on finding ways to scratch out victories.

“I’m surprised that it’s been as difficult to win ballgames as it’s been this year,” Stone said.

“It’s been quite a bit of a struggle to finish out and win ballgames. Like I said, we’re competing throughout the ballgames and we’ve played a lot of tight games and a lot of close games. Just to get over the hump sometimes, it’s been difficult.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.