Cherub lights up Pearl Street

Jason Huber and Jordan Kelley, of the electro-pop band Cherub, played their hearts out last Wednesday at Pearl Street Nightclub in Northampton.

The duo had the crowd – which was made up of about a few hundred seasoned listeners and new fans – on its feet all night as the band performed a variety of songs from both its back catalog and its most recent album, “Year of the Caprese.” Huber and Kelley energized the audience with an elating mix of pop, rhythm and blues, rock and electronica with an indie essence and catchy lyrics. The show, part of the group’s second North American tour, “Champagne Showers,” was nothing short of fantastic.

The funky sound and party anthem beats of Cherub lit up Pearl Street and drew excitement from the lively crowd early in the night. The show’s two openers, Gibbz and Ghost Beach, performed tracks with a similar spunk and electronic essence to Cherub’s work. Gibbz, created by musician Mike Gibney, first took the stage and mixed his own music, as well as remixes, on the DJ table. Gibbz then turned over the microphone to Ghost Beach, New York’s electronic music duo comprised of Josh Ocean and Eric Mendelsohn. The group hit the stage for about an hour, pumping up the already excited crowd for the arrival of Cherub. The duo’s digitized music served as an excellent bridge to the introduction of Huber and Kelley’s own electronic tunes.

Cherub took the stage with great enthusiasm around 10 p.m., and dominated with its unique sound for almost two hours. The captivated audience clapped, danced and laughed the night away as Huber and Kelley both shared their catchy sounds and interacted with fans. The duo joked with audience members in the first row and showed gratitude for the continued support from its growing fan base.

These fans displayed feverish excitement to both the band’s older and the more recent material found in “Year of the Caprese.” Throughout the night, Cherub gave the audience a taste of its many musical influences, leading to an array of sounds ranging from electro-pop and dance to R&B. The band’s slow and smooth rhythms always seemed to please the crowd. The overpowering bass and feel-good melodies worked perfectly together, turning Pearl Street Nightclub into an all-encompassing destination for unique musical expression.

The duo opened its set with the song, “<3,” one of the many tracks found on “Year of the Caprese.” During the performance, Huber and Kelley exhibited their impressive instrumental talents with solo drum and acoustic guitar breaks. After establishing an upbeat start, the duo pulled from its 2013 EP with tracks such as “Heartbreaker” and “Jazzercise ’95.” The electronic essence pulsed through the crowd as Huber and Kelley got deeper into the set list. The band paused the fast-paced vibes halfway through the show to slow things down with its newer, R&B style songs, including “Freaky Me, Freaky You” and “Tonight.”

Huber and Kelley also paid tribute to fellow electro-dance artist Calvin Harris with an excellent cover of his 2012 hit, “Feel So Close.” The duo’s cover was received well by the crowd, pulling the audience away from the previous slow songs and back into the pulse-pounding spirit that defines the band’s music. Keeping with the notion of “saving the best for last,” Huber and Kelley concluded the show with a few popular hits, including “XOXO,” and, of course, the single that put them on the alternative radar, “Doses and Mimosas.”

Cherub exceeded expectations as its unique sound, mix of genres and upbeat personality contributed to the great atmosphere at Pearl Street this past Wednesday. As Cherub has come close to the end of its second North American tour, the band has gained momentum and will surely continue to surpass expectations at each of its forthcoming concerts.

Ruthann Barry can be reached at [email protected].