UMass student found dead in McNamara Hall

Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Updated: 1:17 p.m.

The 21-year-old female was identified as Chloe Malast, of Needham, in a campus-wide email from David Vaillancourt, senior associate dean for Campus Life.

According to Vaillancourt, Malast was a member of the Commonwealth Honors College.

“Since this death was unattended, the state medical examiner’s office will
conduct an autopsy to determine the official cause of death, but you
should know our residence halls are safe and secure,” Vaillancourt wrote in the email.

Updated: 11:30 a.m.

Mary Carey, spokesperson for the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, confirmed police are investigating the death of a 21-year-old female Sunday night in McNamara Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area at the University of Massachusetts.

No foul play is suspected, according to Carey. Cause of death will be determined by an autopsy.

Original story

Police are investigating an apparent death in McNamara Hall in the Sylvan Residential Area at the University of Massachusetts.

A hearse arrived at the dorm at approximately 10:30 p.m. Sunday night. It appeared a body was loaded into the vehicle on a stretcher 10 minutes later.

Several marked and unmarked UMass Police Department and State Police vehicles were at the scene for at least three hours.

An unconfirmed tweet at 7:38 p.m. by @scanamherst, a Twitter account which reports incidents and calls from the Amherst Police Department, Amherst Fire Department and UMPD, said, “AFD & UMASS PD responding to McNamara Dorm for a person reportedly not breathing.”

Police are not commenting at this time and University officials were unable to be reached Sunday night.

The Massachusetts Daily Collegian will provide updates as they become available.

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AvivaLuttrell.