Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/ Daily Collegian)

For a freshman playing Division I college soccer, getting onto the field is typically pretty tough.

For Massachusetts midfielder Matthew Mooney, that is not the case. The freshman has started seven of eight games for the Minutemen and has logged 603 minutes played, which is fifth on the team.

“It was definitely unexpected,” Mooney said regarding his immediate insertion into the lineup. “It was a little hard to come by, but I worked hard, did what I needed to do, and I guess it paid off… I’m very content with where I am right now.”

A native of East Longmeadow, Mooney has become an integral part of the UMass gameplan and believes he is playing up to par with his standards, especially after making the transition from high school ball to the speed of Division I play.

“So far, I think I’ve been up to scale with everyone,” Mooney said. “It’s a big adjustment since I’ve never played against the size and strength of some of these guys I’m facing now, but I think I’ve done pretty well playing my size, and hopefully it gets better from here.”

Standing at 5-foot-8, Mooney is one of five Minutemen starters listed as less than six feet tall and has harnessed his size as a way to be agile and get around opposing players that have a size advantage.

Interim coach Devin O’Neill believes the freshman has made the jump to the college level extremely well. He had no problems with inserting him into the starting eleven right away.

“He’s done a wonderful job, really made the transition well,” O’Neill said. “He’s an excellent athlete, very smart and conscientious, and his technical ability is good, so he’s been able to get up to speed no problem.”

While listed as a midfielder, Mooney is a versatile asset for the Minutemen as an outside back on defense. O’Neill believed he had an idea of what the freshman would bring to the table, and he knew that Mooney could rise to the occasion.

“He’s done very well. You just never know, but you have an idea based on their overall skill set and experience level on how they’re going to make the transition,” O’Neill said.

“It’s not an exact science for sure. Sometimes it takes guys longer, but he (Mooney) had an opportunity and has done magnificent.”

Recruited by former coach Sam Koch, Mooney was one of nine freshmen to commit to playing soccer in Amherst. He knew that Koch was ill and was unsure of what was going to happen in the future.

When Koch passed away in July, Mooney accepted that he would play under a different coach, but had faith in O’Neill.

Regarding the freshman’s play out on the field, O’Neill said he has many of the fundamentals in place and is not surprised with how well Mooney has performed.

“He’s really got the full package in terms of skill on the ball, tactical awareness, and is a heck of an athlete,” O’Neill said. “He’s strong, quick and has a very good vertical, so he plays bigger than what his size is.”

In terms of what he would like to see Mooney improve on, O’Neill would like to see his diligent back get more involved in the offensive third.

“He’s so conscientious at the back, that we are encouraging him to get in the attack more,” he said. “I think he’s a little bit hesitant to get forward because he doesn’t want to get caught out of position.

“If we could get him involved in the attack more I think that would be the next step for him.”
.
Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected]