UHS offers more accessible vaccination clinics as flu season nears

(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)
(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)

With flu season just around the corner, the University of Massachusetts Health Services is running flu vaccination clinics to try to keep students, families and faculty safe and healthy.

The flu, otherwise known as Influenza, is a contagious virus. Symptoms often include a fever, cough, sore throat, congested nose, chills, an achy body, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

“The flu affects everyone, even healthy, young people,” said Ann Becker, UHS’ public health nurse.

Becker said college students are especially susceptible to the flu because of the close quarters they live in.

“(The flu) is a terrible virus that can knock you off your feet for a couple of weeks,” she said, and stressed the importance of students getting a vaccine to protect themselves, as well as their friends and families.

Becker said the flu vaccine is recommended by doctors, nurses and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

flewThe vaccine is available to all UMass students, faculty, staff and students’ dependents whose primary care provider is at UHS, according to the UHS website.

Becker noted UHS expects more people to come in for vaccinations this year, as compared to last.

“We have had a great turnout so far and we hope to continue. There has been a very nice interest and we have a good amount of flu vaccines,” Becker said.

The vaccine is available through both injection and inhalation.

On Thursday, UHS will provide vaccinations at the Berkshire Dining Commons in the Southwest Residential Area from 4 to 7 p.m., as well Friday in the UHS building, room 302, from 9 a.m. until noon. Flu shots will be available through the clinics until Nov. 21 at noon.

A full list of clinics can be viewed on the UHS website.

UHS will be holding mobile clinics, such as the ones in the dining commons, to make vaccinations more convenient for students, according to Becker.

“It does not take that long (to get the flu vaccination). It should be on everyone’s health checklist every year,” she said.

Marleigh Felsenstein can be reached at [email protected].