UMass men’s swimming and diving falls to Army; women’s team gets revenge

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

After being swept by Army last year, the Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams entered their first dual match of the season hoping for a better outcome in this year’s season opener.

Unfortunately for the men’s team, the results were no better as the Minutemen lost 172-128 despite winning multiple events in the swimming and diving categories.

“You’re never happy with a loss but I think the team is where I want them to be at the point of the season,” UMass coach Russ Yarworth said. “I don’t want them to peak right now – that’s for later in (the) year – but for the first match we looked good.”

One player that has stood out to Yarworth since the start of training was Alessandro Bomprezzi, who placed first in both the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyle events.

“He’s worked hard in practice and has stepped up for this team,” Yarworth said.

Senior Michael Glenn also impressed over the weekend, earning 15 total points. He placed first in the 100-meter breaststroke, second in 200-meter breaststroke and third in the 200-meter individual medley.

When asked how his team can improve before next match, Bomprezzi said he thinks the team has shown positive results in freestyle and backstroke events, but needs to focus on improving in butterfly and breast stroke events.”

On Saturday, the Minutemen were missing some members due to injuries, but Yarworth said that he was focusing on the players thatwere available.

“I don’t believe if everyone were healthy for Saturday it would have changed the outcome,” Yarworth said. “But I challenge people to improve and step up in practice while others are out.”

Minutewomen earn first win

It was a different story for the women’s team on Saturday, as it picked up revenge from last season with a 168-132 win over the Black Knights.

The Minutewomen were led by seniors Zoey Judd, Molly Smyth and sophomore Meriza Werenski.
Judd won the 200-meter freestyle in 1:55.14 and the 100-meter freestyle in 53.04 seconds. She also came in third place in the 50-meter freestyle (24.65).

Werenski won all three of her individual races – in the 100-meter breaststroke, the 500-meter freestyle and the 200-meter individual medley – while Smyth took home gold in the 1,000-meter freestyle event.

“I really liked the results of the match,” UMass coach Bob Newcomb said. “The team responded well to the training we’ve done in practice and it showed.”

While Newcomb said he is happy with UMass’ current state, he said he is not satisfied.

“I’m happy with where we are but you always want to get better,” Newcomb said. “You can always get better and we have to stay focused so that we can get better. We still have a ways to go.”

Both teams return to action on Saturday when they travel to face Boston University.

Victor Pusateri can be reached at [email protected].