Learn to love your plans on this year’s Valentine’s Day

(Daily Collegian File Photo)
(Daily Collegian File Photo)

Regardless of whether your Facebook status says single, in a relationship or it’s complicated, there is always pressure to think of new and interesting activities to do on Valentine’s Day.

But creating plans should not be stressful. By taking advantage of some local opportunities and adding a few creative moves of your own, it doesn’t have to be a burden at all.

Off campus, the Hampshire Mall offers some great potential date ideas, such as going to the movies, playing glow-in-the-dark golf, roller blading or playing laser tag. Cinemark is an option for a movie date as the debatably romantic movie “50 Shades of Grey” comes out just in time for Valentine’s Day. Girl Scout cookies will be served in the food court right outside the theater from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

It can’t be a holiday without food. Fast food restaurants are offering fun Valentine’s Day deals and treats. Dunkin’ Donuts has a line of festive white chocolate raspberry coffees and heart-shaped donuts. McDonalds may accept your hugs as payment and Starbucks is releasing a limited edition “First Blush” tea.

There are plenty of options in the valley for breakfast, lunch or dinner such as Antonio’s Pizza, Judie’s and Amherst Brewing Company. Chili’s, Zoe’s Fish House and Applebee’s in Hadley or Northampton’s Fitzwilly’s, Eastside Grill and The Sierra Grill are also options.

Leaving campus is not necessary to have a fun day and can be a cheaper option for those on a budget. The Mullins Center Community Rink is having a public skate from 4 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. and the dining halls will be sure to feature some festive treats that are covered on a meal plan.

Bunkering down in your room with some movies, blankets and snacks doesn’t limit options. This can also be a cozier setting, allowing for more cuddling than the movie theater seats. Options for romance movies to watch are endless, including, but not limited to, “Valentine’s Day,” “Friends with Benefits,” “Crazy, Stupid, Love.” and “The Notebook.”

Recreate Valentine’s Day from kindergarten by organizing a floor program or ask your Resident Assistant to do so. Getting everyone together to make cards for each other is a fun craft and a way to make everyone in the community feel involved and loved on the very day dedicated to it.

Keeping theme with homemade Valentine’s Day, you can also make some treats yourself. Cooking with a significant other is a romantic way to spend time together or a fun one to do alone or with friends. There are a plethora of Valentine’s Day recipes available online, especially on websites like All Recipes, Food Network and Pinterest. Make some heart-themed cookies, cupcakes and brownies, or try something that will really make your mouth water, like white chocolate dipped Oreos with plenty of pink and red sprinkles.

You do not have to give away all of your love, though. Remember to save some for yourself. Valentine’s Day ultimately can be as fun and festive as you desire.

Annamarie Wadiak can be reached at [email protected].