UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery

By Aviva Luttrell

Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Photo by Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Update: Feb. 26 at 3:10 p.m.

HADLEY — Police plan to charge a University of Massachusetts football player who was involved in a fight that left one male unconscious and requiring surgery due to the extent of his injuries early Sunday morning with two counts of aggravated assault and battery, masslive.com reported Thursday.

He will not be identified until arrested, according to the report.

Officers responded to a house on Rocky Hill Road at 2:35 a.m. Sunday for a report of a fight, according to a Facebook post by the Hadley Police Department. Witnesses and the victim identified the suspect as a member of the UMass football team who was with other football players at a large party at the residence.

The victim was transported to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, according to a report by the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

A spokesperson for the UMass football team declined to comment Monday.

Earlier that night, police investigated a hit and run accident involving a pedestrian in the vicinity of the same party.

According to the Hadley Police Department’s Facebook page, the accident occurred in the area of 156 Rocky Hill Road at 1:28 a.m. The pedestrian was taken to the hospital, treated and released.

Police described the vehicle as a white or gray SUV, but witnesses were unable to identify the make, model or license plate.

Police are still looking for the driver of the SUV, according to masslive.com

Anybody with further information is asked to contact Officer Jesse Green at 413-584-0883.

Numerous parked vehicles in the roadway were also towed from the party and another male was placed in protective custody until he was released to a sober friend.

The UMass Police Department and Amherst Fire Department also assisted in the responses.

The six tenants of the party house will be summonsed to Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown on charges of violating the town noise ordinance bylaw, according to masslive.com.

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @AvivaLuttrell. Mark Chiarelli also contributed to this report.