UMass names Ryan Bamford as next athletic director

(Collegian file photo)
(Collegian file photo)

Update (2 p.m.): The University of Massachusetts officially named Ryan Bamford as its seventh permanent athletic director in a press release issued Monday afternoon.

The announcement, which was originally reported Sunday night, was made official by UMass Chancellor Kumble R. Subbaswamy. Bamford spent the last four years as an associate athletic director at Georgia Tech where he oversaw football, men’s basketball and baseball.

“Ryan brings the right mix of devotion to the student-athlete, a winning tradition in a broad range of sports, and intimate knowledge of FBS football—just what we were looking for,” Subbaswamy said in the release.

“He brings great energy to our Department of Athletics and is someone who we think can help elevate us to the next level. Those we spoke with about Ryan were all of the same mind in that they think he is one of the top young administrators in the country.”

Bamford will officially be introduced at the Football Performance Center Tuesday at 2 p.m.

“I am humbled by the opportunity to join the UMass family as its director of athletics. I would like to thank Chancellor Subbaswamy, Vice Chancellor John Kennedy and the search committee for providing me the opportunity to serve the Commonwealth’s flagship university,” Bamford said in the release.

“As a New England native, I have witnessed the University’s ascent to its position as one the leading public research institutions in the nation. In addition, UMass offers a world-class athletics experience. I am excited to work with a strong group of student-athletes, coaches and staff to build UMass into a nationally recognized program.”

Bamford was reportedly one of three finalists for the job, along with former Stony Brook athletic director Jim Fiore and Buffalo associate athletic director Allen Greene. Bamford’s hiring was first reported by the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Bamford is a native of New Hampshire and his father Steve was the athletic director at Plymouth State University for 13 years. Ryan Bamford graduated from Ithaca College in 2000, where he played basketball.

He then worked in the athletic department at Springfield College from 2000 to 2002 while also earning his master’s degree before taking a job at Yale University, where he worked until his hiring at Georgia Tech in 2011.

Bamford replaces John McCutcheon, who served as UMass’ athletic direct for 11 years before accepting a job with the University of California-Santa Barbara in January. Robert Goodhue, who is the UMass Foundation’s chief operating officer, was serving as the interim athletic director.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.