Strong defensive effort lifts Minutewomen in 9-4 win over Drexel

(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)
(Christina Yacono/Daily Collegian)

Over the past couple of seasons, it’s been the offense that’s been the focal point of the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s success.

Despite being ranked second in the nation in team defense, that unit was often overlooked by the two-headed offensive monster in Katie Ferris and Sam Rush that spearheaded the Minutewomen attack.

Defense was – and still is – the backbone to UMass’ system. Now the group is finally getting the attention it deserves.

The Minutewomen (6-0) defeated Drexel 9-4 on Friday at McGuirk Stadium marking their third straight game allowing four goals or fewer, and the fourth time in six games that the team has achieved that mark.

“We definitely created a lot of havoc on the ride and got the ball back,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “Fortunately our defense is very strong and has put us in position to win games, but I do think that we are going to find that (offensive) game and it’s all going to click.”

UMass held the Dragons to just 12 total shots and forced 26 turnovers in the winning effort. Drexel was 13-for-26 on clear attempts, and struggled with the Minutewomen’s ride, as it couldn’t generate many quality offensive possession all game.

Midfielder Sarah Crowley led the team with four caused turnovers while defender Kate Farham added three to the same category.

“I definitely thought that was going to be an area we could capitalize on,” McMahon said. “If there’s one big thing that, as a team, we are able to rally ourselves on, it’s the rides and our ability to pick up ground balls. That’s been huge for us and we need to continue that moving forward.”

Attack Erika Eipp played her best game of the season and paced the Minutewomen’s offense with three goals and a pair of assists on the afternoon. Eipp leads all scorers with 14 points on the season. Her nine goals are only second to Hannah McCarthy (13) while her five assists are the most on the roster.

All three of her goals came in the second half against Drexel and were unassisted. The first came one minute, 51 seconds into the final frame to put UMass ahead 5-1. After a pair of goals from the Dragons to cut the lead to just two goals, Eipp answered the call once again, beating goalkeeper Teresha Bradley (14 saves) to put the Minutewomen ahead 6-3.

“At the end of the first half, and early second half the game was back-and-forth, and she was the one that really broke it open,” McMahon said, “She got us some big momentum and had some really pretty goals. She’s a finisher. She’s able to get good looks inside because she’s really patient.

“If we can do more of that as a team, I think that we are going to be in a better position to beat teams.

Her final goal came with 2:13 left in the game – UMass’ ninth of the contest.

The Dragons (1-5) came out hot from the start as Joelle Hartke snuck one past Rachel Vallarelli, who had six saves on 10 shot on goal attempts, off of an assist from Milan White. The Minutewomen defense locked in and didn’t allow a goal for the remainder of the half holding the Drexel offense to just three shots.

Katie Ott, Nicole Trosst, Sarah Crowley, Rory Sadoff, Callie Santos and Eileen McDonald all had a goal apiece for UMass.

Although the Minutewomen recorded 30 shots, McMahon still believes that her team needs to improve the quality shots the team is taking, especially when it comes to shots on cage.

“I kind of sound like a broken record talking about shooting every game but we need to keep working on that,” McMahone said. “We’ve been focusing a lot on that and hopefully we’ll be able to improve with it.”

Andrew Cyr can be reached at [email protected], and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.

[liveblog]