UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’

(Masstravel/ Flickr)
(Masstravel/ Flickr)

In order to deter students from participating in the annual “Blarney Blowout” St. Patrick’s Day celebration, the University of Massachusetts will host a free “Bring the Spring!” concert March 7, featuring performances by Kesha, Juicy J and more.

“I think the concert is one aspect of an approach to engage students and offer them good and enjoyable programing on campus,” UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski said.

The doors of the Mullins Center will open at 11 a.m. for the noon show. The concert, backed by University funding, according to Blaguszewski, is free for UMass students only.

“We hope you and your friends will make responsible choices and help maintain a community defined by safety and civility,” Enku Gelaye, vice chancellor for Student Affairs and Campus Life, said in an email to the campus community Friday.

Last year, police made 55 arrests during “Blarney.”

“Unfortunately, last year thousands of individuals from outside our community came to the Town of Amherst during the first weekend in March,” Gelaye said in the email. “The ensuing large-scale disturbance was a terrible day for our campus and the entire region.”

The concert announcement follows a change in parking and guest policies for March 7 weekend.

From Thursday, March 5 at 8 p.m. until Sunday, March 8 at 11 p.m. students will be able to sign in up to four UMass students, but no outside guests into residence halls. From March 6 at 5 p.m. to March 8 at 5 p.m., all parking lots will be restricted to UMass parking permit holders only.

Tickets for the concert will be available at the Mullins Center Box Office beginning Monday at 10 a.m. They will be available while supplies last and students must show their UMass ID in order to receive tickets for the show.

The box office is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Students must bring both their ID and ticket on the day of the event to gain entry.

Jaclyn Bryson can be reached at [email protected].