Chance the Rapper and Hoodie Allen highlight this weekend’s UMass Spring Concert lineup

(Daniel Gregory)

(Daniel Gregory)

The University of Massachusetts will host the 2015 University Planning Council Spring Concert, featuring acclaimed artists Timeflies, Hoodie Allen and Chance the Rapper, Sunday at 7 p.m. at Mullins Center. Doors open at 6 p.m.

Spring Concert is an annual event at UMass, with past headliners including the Goo Goo Dolls, Jay Z, Third Eye Blind, Cobra Starship and Big Sean. According to Bianca Surjawan, executive director of UPC, students were given the opportunity to vote via Campus Pulse for what music they wanted to hear at the event. UPC then chooses artists based on the genre with the most votes, which was hip-hop and rap.

Timeflies first formed in 2010, and the group combined hip-hop, rap, R&B and techno. The duo includes producer Rob Resnick and vocalist Cal Shapiro. Resnick and Shapiro began their career together in a different band called The Ride, where Rob Resnick — also known as “Rez” — was the drummer and Shapiro free styled.

Timeflies released its debut album, “The Scotch Tape,” in 2011. Its sophomore effort, “After Hours,” was released in 2014 and featured collaborations with the likes of T-Pain, Fabolous and Katie Sky.

Hoodie Allen is a hip-hop artist from Long Island, New York. Known off stage as Steven Markowitz, Hoodie Allen began his career as a “frat-rap” artist and won MTV’s Best Music on Campus Award in 2009. One of his prominent hits was the 2010 track, “You Are Not a Robot,” which he followed with the “All American” EP in 2012. “All American” made No. 10 on Billboard’s Top Albums chart. His latest release, 2014’s “People Keep Talking,” features collaborations with the likes of Ed Sheeran and Alex Wiley.

Chance the Rapper is a highly acclaimed hip-hop artist who has been featured in songs such as Justin Bieber’s “Confident,” Madonna’s “Iconic” and Childish Gambino’s mix tape, “Royalty.” Born Chancellor Bennett, his primary interest has been music since high school. In his senior year of high school, he used a 10-day break to record his debut mix tape, “10 Days,” which was uploaded to the Internet in 2012.

The album caught attention from Forbes Magazine and then the largely popular rapper Childish Gambino — also known as comedian and actor Donald Glover — who invited Chance the Rapper to be the opening act in his 2012 tour.

His groundbreaking mix tape, “Acid Rap,” came out in April 2013. It features popular songs including “Cocoa Butter Kisses” and “Juice,” and led to a performance at Lollapalooza in 2014. He is one of the artists following in the footsteps of Kendrick Lamar and Flying Lotus, who are pushing a new subgenre of progressive hip hop that features influences of rap, techno, soul, R&B and jazz.

Student tickets are only available at the Mullins Center Box Office with a valid student ID. The cost for undergraduates is $10. Tickets for UMass alumni and other Five College students are $25, and tickets for the general public are $45. Parking at Mullins Center is $10, and only cash is accepted.

Sarah Gamard can be reached at [email protected]

[liveblog]