Former UMass coach John Calipari elected to Basketball Hall of Fame

(Tnjn/Flickr)
(Tnjn/Flickr)

There’s a chance John Calipari will now make multiple trips to Western Massachusetts next season.

The former Massachusetts men’s basketball coach was elected into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Monday, less than 48 hours after his bid for an undefeated season at the University of Kentucky fell short in a Final Four loss to Wisconsin.

“This is going to be hard for people to understand, but I’m at a loss for words,” Calipari said in a press release. “I was overwhelmed when I heard the news and so grateful. I would imagine other recipients felt how I feel now: unworthy of such an honor, but appreciative.”

Calipari is one of 11 members of the induction class and will officially be inducted Sept. 11. He becomes the third person directly tied with UMass to earn enshrinement, joining Julius Erving and Rick Pitino.

Calipari coached the Minutemen for eight seasons and led UMass to an appearance in the 1996 NCAA Final Four. The Minutemen are scheduled to retire a jersey in Calipari’s honor next season during a 20th anniversary celebration of the 1996 team at a date which is yet to be announced.

“This is a great accomplishment and one that is well deserved,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “It reflects not only what he’s accomplished on the court but represents the lives he has touched in addition to winning basketball games.”

Kellogg played for Calipari at UMass and later coached under him at Memphis. The two have remained close.

“From the UMass family, we want to send congrats to coach and his family. We’ve always been supportive of him and 100 percent with him, “ Kellogg said. “Coach Cal has been there for me as a coach, friend and mentor – all the things a person who has meant so much to you wants during our relationship.”

Calipari’s appeared in six career Final Fours and has done so at UMass, Memphis and Kentucky. This season, he coached a Wildcats team which won 38 straight games before losing Saturday to the Badgers.
According to ESPN, Calipari received 18 of 24 votes necessary for enshrinement.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.