UMass fraternity to take part in St. Baldrick’s head-shaving event

(Juliette Sandleitner/Daily Collegian)
(Juliette Sandleitner/Daily Collegian)

The Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and other local participants will be shaving their heads in support of the St. Baldrick’s Foundation on Sunday.

Since 1999, the St. Baldrick’s Foundation’s head-shaving events across the country have helped fundraise for cancer research for children, and in 2015 alone, 1,145 St. Baldrick’s Foundation head-shaving events have raised over $24.5 million nationwide.

According to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation website, Alpha Delta Phi has raised $1,575 out of its goal of $5,000 as so far.

At Rafters Sports Bar on Sunday, starting at 11 a.m., different teams from all around the Pioneer Valley will be shaving their heads to support this cause. Various groups, including the University of Massachusetts Police Department, Amherst Firefighters and Friends, local college sports teams, and others, will be participating.

Five years ago, UMass Police Department sergeant Matthew Malo contacted the fraternity about the event. Since then, this has been one of the biggest fundraisers that the fraternity participates in.

Every member in the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity helps coordinate and organize the event, and those who volunteer to do so will have their heads shaved.

A local barbershop in Amherst, Matt’s Barber Shop, will be providing the head-shaving services the day of the event.

Vice president and philanthropy chair of Alpha Delta Phi, Raiyan Rahman encouraged everyone to go to the event.

“It’s super family friendly with a live band, food and raffles and it’s for a good cause.”

At last year’s event, over 100 people shaved their head. All the teams raised over $75,000 and Alpha Delta Phi raised $5,000. This year, Rashman hopes to raise more money on the day of the event, and surpass last year’s total.

Christina Yacono can be reached at [email protected].