UMass men’s lacrosse seeks redemption for last year’s Delaware loss

(Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

The Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team has a chance Friday night to revive its season and clinch a spot in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament. To do so, however, it must defeat the same Delaware team that ended the Minutemen’s playoff hopes last year.

In a win-and-in situation at the end of the 2014 regular season finale, the Blue Hens easily handled UMass 15-7, keeping the Minutemen out of the playoffs for the first time since 2008.

Currently seeded third in the conference due to a tiebreaker over Drexel and Hofstra, UMass will enter Friday’s season finale in a similar circumstance, as a loss would leave the Minutemen (4-8, 2-2 CAA) searching for outside help to qualify for the tournament.

“We were in a similar position with everything in front of us (last year),” senior Andrew Sokol said. “It feels a little different but we still just need to get the job done.”

Sokol said last year’s loss provides extra motivation in preparation for the upcoming rematch. He added that the defeat has stuck with him and other UMass returnees.

“Whenever you lose to a team, the next time you face them you want to beat them,” Sokol said. “Everyone’s excited and we’re ready for the opportunity.”

Minutemen coach Greg Cannella downplayed the notion of seeking revenge, but emphasized the importance of bringing intensity into Friday’s primetime matchup at Garber Field.

“Personally I think if coaches or people want to use revenge as part of their motivation – they can do that. I don’t typically do that,” Cannella said. “All that goes away once the whistle blows.”

Cannella added that while not much could be taken out of the 2014 loss in terms of his own team’s play, he said it provided insight on just how good Delaware’s experience corps is.

Seniors Tom Holland (26 goals), Beau Jones (17) and Jeff Heath (seven) return after accounting for 10 of the Blue Hens’ 15 goals in last season’s head-to-head matchup.

“They dominated us (last year),” Cannella said. “Most of those guys are back. They have a good group of seniors who’ve been very strong for them and are tremendous athletes.”

Despite this experience, Delaware (4-10, 0-4 CAA) stands alone in last place this season as the only CAA team already out of playoff contention heading into the final weekend of the regular season. The Blue Hens have lost five straight, including consecutive overtime defeats – with the latest coming in double-overtime in a 12-11 loss versus Fairfield.

But recalling last season’s loss, Cannella warned against taking Delaware lightly.

“I don’t think their record is indicative of how good a team they are,” Cannella said.

UMass hopes for Garber repeat

It was a long awaited return to Garber Field after record snowfall in Amherst damaged the playing field and forced the Minutemen to play their first five home games at McGuirk Stadium.

But in UMass’ first game there since April 19, 2014, the Minutemen earned a much-needed, emotional 12-9 victory over Drexel. Now playing in its second straight game at Garber, Cannella said the same passion must be shown the rest of the season.

“I think our guys need to understand that that’s how they have to play,” Cannella said. “Every game that you play in Division I lacrosse, you need energy, you need enthusiasm and you need intensity. If you don’t bring it, you’re going to lose.”

According to Sokol, one of six seniors to be honored at Friday’s Senior Night, this challenge shouldn’t pose a problem.

“It’s Senior Night on Garber Field so we have a lot of excitement and we’ll be ready to go,” Sokol said. “The fact that we lost last year just adds to the motivation we have to win Friday night.”

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.