UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame

By Anthony Chiusano

(Courtesy of UMass Athletics)

Courtesy of UMass Athletics

Already a member of the National Rowing, Northeastern University and New York Athletic Club halls of fame, Massachusetts women’s rowing coach Jim Dietz can now add the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association Hall of Fame to his list of enshrinements.

Dietz was one of three coaches to be inducted into the CRCA Hall of Fame Monday night during the association’s annual awards show. The honor, which Dietz said he learned about two weeks ago, was voted on by fellow collegiate coaches around the nation who are members of the CRCA.

“It’s quite gratifying because basically you’re chosen by your peers,” Dietz said. “It’s the other coaches that put you forward and vote you into this organization.”

Dietz has coached UMass since its program’s inception in 1995. Over his 21 seasons at the helm, the Minutewomen have claimed 15 Atlantic 10 titles, including this past two years’ consecutive NCAA championship appearances.

Despite the program’s consistent success over two decades, Dietz acknowledged the challenge of building up UMass’ rowing team, calling it a “long road.”

“(We came) in 21 years ago and really didn’t have any equipment at all in the winter,” Dietz said. “We started off in the basement corridor of Boyden Gym.

“Now we have a section in Boyden Gym, we have a locker room in Boyden. Now we have a beautiful boat house and top of the line equipment. We have a turn-key operation that any program would be happy to have.”

Prior to UMass, Dietz spent nine years as coach of the Coast Guard Academy from 1985-1994. He’s also been involved with the United States’ Olympic team, serving as the national squad’s quad coach in 1988 and 1992 in Seoul, South Korea and Barcelona, Spain and as the U.S. coach in 2000 in Sydney, Australia.

Along with Dietz, Washington coach Bob Ernst and Texas coach Carrie Graves rounded out the three-person class inducted by the CRCA in 2015. According to Dietz, being enshrined with Ernst and Graves, who he’s gotten to personally know over his tenure, adds to the honor’s significance.

“I’ve known these two people for a good 30 years so it’s nice to be inducted with your friends,” Dietz said.

The Minutewomen are coming off a 20th place overall finish in May’s NCAA championships and return the majority of its roster for the 2016 season. With this in mind, Dietz said the expectations of performing well at the conference and national tournaments will only be raised.

“We’re already looking forward to a return to California for the NCAAs next year,” Dietz said. “We only graduated three this year and we’ve got a great freshman class coming in. This is just going to be the way business is moving forward.”

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.