UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions

With 2014 All-MAC first team quarterback Blake Frohnapfel returning as quarterback of the Massachusetts football team for the 2015 campaign, two former signal-callers are using fall camp as an opportunity to find the field at other positions on the Minutemen’s offense.

Since last spring, redshirt junior A.J. Doyle and redshirt freshman Andrew Verboys have each made a permanent position switch from quarterback to tight end and wide receiver respectively. While Doyle began his transition last April, Verboys’ move developed over the course of the summer.

“It started two weeks before camp,” Verboys said. “All summer I was thinking about making a change. I just felt like it was a better fit and a better opportunity for me to get on the field and help the team.”

Verboys said the decision to move to receiver was spurred by quarterbacks coach and co-passing game coordinator Liam Coen early this past summer. Acknowledging the surplus at the quarterback position, Verboys was willing to test out the change.

“Once we got closer to camp, it started getting more real and I started running some routes with Blake and Ross (Comis) throwing to me,” Verboys said. “I was comfortable so I said I’d make the switch.”

Verboys was originally recruited to UMass as a two-star quarterback out of Armonk, New York. Standing at 5-foot-11, 200 pounds, he’ll look to utilize his athleticism to ensure a smooth transition.

“He’s a good athlete. I would never tell him, but he was probably the best athlete in the quarterback room,” Frohnapfel said after Monday’s practice.

Unlike Verboys, who did not see any action in his true freshman season last year, Doyle had past game experience under center for the Minutemen. A year before head coach Mark Whipple arrived for his second tenure at the helm of UMass, Doyle started nine games and threw for 1,274 yards in 2013.

However, the Lakeville native was edged out by Frohnapfel for the starting job midway through 2014 fall camp and did not appear in a game last season.

Doyle then played in last year’s spring game at tight end to mark the beginning of what is now a permanent move. According to Doyle, as the transition continues he has had to take on more responsibilities and challenges.

“During the spring game, I was asked to do a lot of different things but it’s nowhere even close to what I’ve been asked to do so far (in fall camp),” Doyle said. “In the spring game I was only expected to do maybe one or two different pass protections and just run some routes as opposed to now, I’m in all the run game and all the pass game and doing everything.”

Whipple added: “I think you see a different demeanor with him. He’s bought in and he’s a good athlete so I think he’s going to help us there. He’s got stronger and more physical over the summer and it’s showed over the first two days.”

Like in the case of Verboys, athleticism and versatility played a part in Doyle’s move. Prior to arriving in Amherst, Doyle was recruited by North Carolina State to play linebacker.

“When I was coming out of high school, (North Carolina) State recruited me as a linebacker so I knew I was a good enough athlete to play mostly any position on a Division I football field,” Doyle said.

Doyle and Verboys each said different conditioning and the amount of running were two big challenges they’ve encountered through the first three days of training camp. Verboys added that getting hit more often is another adjustment.

“I didn’t get hit for two years so now I’m finally getting hit and it’s different,” Verboys said. “But I like the challenge and it’s a fun position.”

Whipple said both players will continue to get reps at their respective new positions and will be given chances to play based on UMass’ opponents and weekly positional depth.

Whipple added that Verboys has been working as a holder on field goals and point after touchdown attempts and may possibly spell Frohnapfel, who’s served as primary holder.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.