New Student Convocation focuses on student potential

Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy enters the Mullins Center at the beginning of New Student Convocation for the Class of 2019.

Speakers at the University of Massachusetts’ New Student Convocation encouraged the class of 2019 to come together as a community and make the most of their potential during their time here.

“This is an opportunity for all of us to welcome our newest students,” said Carol Barr, vice provost for undergraduate and continuing education.

Carol Barr encouraged new students, who packed into the Mullins Center on Monday afternoon, to pursue opportunities on campus, and told them not to underestimate the importance of their first day of classes.

“You are among the best and the brightest because you said yes and decided you wanted to come here to the best university,” Barr said.

Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy told students about his experience moving from India to the United States, as he was pursuing his doctoral degree at Indiana University.

Subbaswamy said that he did not leave his residence hall at all for a few days.

“I was scared,” he said. “Eventually, I thrived in my surroundings.”

Subbaswamy encouraged students to challenge themselves intellectually, calling the incoming freshman class one of the most academically accomplished in the University’s history.

Subbaswamy also mentioned the freshman class’ common read, Anand Giridharadas’ “The True American: Murder and Mercy in Texas,” saying the book gives new students an opportunity to address complex topics such as social justice.

“We can come together as a campus and community to discuss the issues,” he said.

Student Government Administration president and senior journalism major Sïonan Barrett, who took a selfie with the audience before her speech, told two stories from her freshman year.

The first story described Barrett’s failed campaign for the president of Melville House, which resulted in her becoming a senator in the SGA.

“When things don’t go your way, wait for something better,” Barrett told the new students.

Barrett, who is from California, told a second story about entering her freshman year unprepared for the coldness of Amherst’s winter.

Her friends, noticing her lack of preparation, helped her get winter jackets and snow boots.

“You can always find someone at UMass who cares about you and how you’re doing,” she said.

Barrett encouraged students to make valuable friends by leaving their dorm room doors open and by reaching out to other students.

The Minutemen Marching Band then played the UMass alma mater, “When Twilight Shadows Deepen,” and the University fight song.

Enku Gelaye, the vice chancellor of campus affairs and student life, applauded the marching band, saying that she would definitely join if she had to go back to college.

Gelaye also mentioned the 36 national flags on the podium, representing the new students’ varied countries of origin.

“They acknowledge that we come from many different communities, but we’re here now,” she said.

Gregory Thomas, a UMass alumnus who is on the University’s Foundation Board, spoke highly of UMass’ accomplishments and the reputation of the incoming class.

“Assembled before me is an impressive group of young scholars and civil leaders,” Thomas said.

Thomas cited UMass as an institution engaged in cutting edge research which influences global technology. He also described the importance of the community to its student body.

“Today and for the rest of your lives you are members of this UMass community,” Thomas said.

Barrett led the incoming students through the class pledge, after which Gelaye congratulated the students on their acceptance to the University.

“It’s the beginning of a long and wonderful journey for you,” she said.

Following convocation, new students left the Mullins Center to have their class picture taken.

Stuart Foster can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Stuart_C_Foster.