Bernie Sanders rally to be held on campus Tuesday evening

Official Bernie Sanders Facebook Page
(Official Bernie Sanders Facebook Page)

A rally will be held in support of Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders Tuesday evening on the University of Massachusetts campus.

The event, which is being put on by the unofficial student organization UMass for Bernie Sanders, is slated to start at 5 p.m. outside of the Student Union.

As of Monday night, roughly 1,600 students have said they planned on attending, according to the event’s Facebook page.

The rally is intended to educate people on Sanders’ platform, including his views on the economy, money in politics, climate change, universal healthcare and higher education affordability, and will feature student, faculty and guest speakers.

Among the speakers is Gerald Friedman, a professor in the department of economics, who will talk about Sanders’ plan for the United States healthcare system. In a recent article in the Huffington Post, Friedman argued that Sanders’ healthcare proposal would save the country nearly $5 trillion over 10 years, through “reduced administrative waste, lower pharmaceutical and device prices, and by lowering the rate of medical inflation.”

Mansur Gidfar, communications director of Represent.us, an organization that he described as a “nonpartisan anti-corruption organization” at the MASSPIRG semester kick-off meeting, will also present on the influence of special interests in American politics.

The rally is being held one day before Sanders’ holds a town hall meeting, which will be held at George Mason University in Virginia, but will be live streamed at schools across the country.  The start time for the town hall meeting is 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

A post on the event’s Facebook page indicated that UMass for Bernie Sanders would stream the meeting in Machmer Hall room e37 on Wednesday evening.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.