UHS can now prescribe, inject or teach to inject, and monitor hormones for transgender students

By Anthony Rentsch

(Shannon Broderick/ Daily Collegian)

(Shannon Broderick/ Daily Collegian)

University Health Services at the University of Massachusetts announced today that it can now prescribe, inject or teach to inject, and monitor hormones for transgender students.

The announcement was posted to the Stonewall Center’s Facebook page Monday afternoon.

According to UHS’s website, hormone replacement therapy for transitioning students is covered under the Student Health Benefit Plan. The plan states that, “Benefits will be payable for Hormone Replacement Therapy outpatient services and supplies for peri and post-menopausal women including outpatient prescription drugs or devices.”

Ilana Schmitt, a staff physician at UHS, will be prescribing the hormones.

UHS can still refer students to local providers for hormone replacement therapy, as well as to local surgeons who can perform sex reassignment and gender-affirming surgeries.

Previously, transgender students were only referred to local providers for hormone replacement therapy.

Representatives from UHS and the University could not be reached for comment Monday evening.

Anthony Rentsch can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Anthony_Rentsch.