Amherst Police Log: Jan. 29-31

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)
(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

Friday:

2:03 p.m.: Police responded to a suspicious person call at 204 Triangle St. regarding a man in a black hoodie who was “walking around in the area.”

2:46 p.m.: Two males were heard arguing in “an aggressive manner” on Pray Street. No party matching that description was found in the area upon police arrival.

8:25 p.m.: Police responded to an animal noise complaint at the Rolling Green apartments. The responding officers did not find any animals, rather a group of college age males listening to loud music and using vulgar language. The party were ordered to mind their neighbors.

10:43 p.m.: The Amherst Fire Department requested Police assistance to help clear out Monkey Bar at 63 N. Pleasant St. The Fire Marshall was conducting compliancy checks and deemed the establishment above capacity. Officials estimated there were 400 patrons, exceeding the capacity
of 240.

Saturday:

12:50 a.m.: Police prevented a man from urinating on the side of the bar “Spoke” at 35 E. Pleasant St. The man was ordered away from the premise.

9:29 a.m.: A caller asked police to remove a “suspicious looking Hispanic woman in a dark hoodie” who was accused of refusing to exit the Jones Library at 43 Amity St.

11:54 a.m.: A clerk at Cousin’s Market at 11 E. Pleasant St. confiscated a woman’s license that he believed to be falsified. The woman called police and an officer returned her license after further examination.

1:18 p.m.: A stainless steel table valued at $500 was reported missing from The Pub at 15 E. Pleasant St. Police are investigating.

11:25 p.m.: Police stopped a man in Puffton Village for dumping the contents of a blue solo cup “known to be used by students for consuming alcohol” behind a parked car. Officers determined the man was of legal drinking age and issued a verbal warning against public drinking.

Sunday:

12:17 a.m.: Police issued a noise violation warning to the residents at 166 Summer St. after they broke up a large gathering there.

1:00 a.m.: Six squad cars responded to reports of a fight breaking out in the basement of 42 Shumway St. The residents assured the responders that no fight had occurred but requested their help in dispersing over 100 guests. Officers issued the residents a warning.

2:16 a.m.: A woman reported that she heard “five gunshots” in the Lincoln and Phillips neighborhood. Officers interviewed the caller’s neighbors to corroborate her story. One neighbor dismissed the noises as the kickbacks from an old muffler.

2:25 a.m.: A group of five college aged males were seen throwing a rock through the window of the Kappa Sigma fraternity house at 778 N. Pleasant St. The window is reported to cost $250 and the police have no suspects.

3:21 p.m.: A man wearing all black clothing reportedly stole a tip jar from the counter of a Subway at 4 Main St. The incident was caught on video and the police are investigating.

4:15 p.m.: A purported “homeless man in his late 40s” was seen passed out on the sidewalk in front of Antonio’s Pizza by the Slice at 31 N. Pleasant St. The man was transported to the hospital by the Amherst Fire Dept. for severe intoxication.

7:53 p.m.: A man ran into Bruno’s pizzeria on Main Street and told one of its employees he had hit a car out front because of his anxiety. The driver quickly ran out without leaving any information.

8:59 p.m.: A man called police in front of Amherst Market on Triangle Street to report that someone threw an apple at him from an apartment window in Kendrick Place. Police approached the tenant of the apartment who denied throwing the apple but acknowledged “it was possible an object came from one of these windows.”

Brendan Deady can be reached at [email protected]