Man arrested for possession of heroin with intent to distribute

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)
(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

Police Log: Friday Feb. 5 to Monday, Feb. 8

Friday, Feb. 5:

1:59 p.m.: The University of Massachusetts Amherst Neighborhood Liaison, Eric Beal, met with officers and the residents of 298 Belchertown Rd. to reach an agreement on future conduct at the residence. The tenants have had officers called to their house on multiple occasions for noise complaints.

6:56 p.m.:  Officers staked out the R & P Package Store at 505 West St. to run ID compliance checks. Police examined 17 separate IDs and found no violations of sale to underage customers.

9:46 p.m.: Officers responded to a call of a suspicious vehicle around Puffers Pond. The officers approached the vehicle and discovered the two occupants “star-gazing.” He reminded the party that the pond is closed at night and ordered them away.

Saturday, Feb. 6:

1:07 a.m.: Police broke up a large party of over 150 guests at 553 Main St., apt. 1, and issued five males court summonses. Four males who live at the resident received summons for unlawful noise and a nuisance house. The fifth male received a summons for underage possession of alcohol.

1:54 a.m.: Eliza Ann Thorton, 18, of 6th and 8th St. Turner Falls was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of an accident, OUI and negligent operation of a motor vehicle. Thorton allegedly crashed her Honda Civic into the guardrails near 305 Pine St., drove the vehicle off-road and reportedly abandoned the car. Police found her walking down the road away from the scene of the crash.

2:15 a.m.: Four males were reportedly shouting and smashing bottles at a bus stop near 188 East Hadley Rd. Police did not find a party matching that description when they arrived.

5:13 a.m.: A man at 168 East Hadley Rd. reportedly spent two hours singing starting at 3 a.m. Police received a noise complaint from one of his neighbors and informed the man to keep the noise down.

2:09 p.m.: A man used a fraudulent check for $87 at the Blue Marble at 191 North Pleasant St. Police are investigating the matter.

2:30 p.m.: Officers arrested Jacob S. Kinney, 28, of Amherst on North Hadley Road as part of an investigation into the distribution of heroin that has been ongoing for several weeks.  Kinney was found with 40 bags of heroin, an undisclosed amount of cash and had outstanding warrants from the Holyoke District Court for cocaine possession. He is charged with possession with the intent to distribute a Class A drug.

3:23 p.m.: Management at the Big Y at 175 University Dr. called police to examine security footage of a shoplifter from the previous day. The footage captured an individual walking out of the store with upwards of $400 in stolen groceries. The incident is under investigation.

8:51 p.m.: A woman called police to 88 Belchertown Rd. for assistance. She claimed that she saw a man who “shot a bunch of kids in Fresno, Cali. a few years ago” standing outside her door a few days ago. The woman claimed that the gunman changed his appearance by erasing his pimples and cutting his hair with a razor. The woman assured the responding officers that she was taking her medication and refused a transport to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

11:11 p.m.: Kyle Croushore, 18, of New Jersey was arrested near Fearing Street for possessing an open container on a public street and underage possession of alcohol.

Sunday, Feb. 7:

12:05 a.m.: Police issued court summonses to two males at 45 Phillips St. for unreasonable and excessive noise coming from their residence.

1:05 a.m.: Police stopped two males near 977 North Pleasant St. after they witnessed the party running from a backyard with a collapsible table. The men informed the officers that they were playing a prank on a friend and returned the table without issue.

11:35 a.m.:  Police stopped two individuals leaving the Big Y at 175 University Dr. for leaving the store with coffee and thin mints they did not purchase. The Big Y issued civil fines and the two were not apprehended.

Monday, Feb. 8:

1:17 a.m.: Police responded to a call from the bar “Rafters” at 422 Amity St. concerning a heavy set white male wearing a black jacket who was “lurking around outside looking for someone to fight.”

Brendan Deady is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at [email protected]