Microbiology professor James Holden speaks about the intersection of science and religion

By Tara Dowd

(Jessica Picard/ Daily Collegian)

(Jessica Picard/ Daily Collegian)

James Holden, a microbiology professor at the University of Massachusetts, led a discussion Tuesday in the Commonwealth Honors College events hall, which explored the intersection of science and religion.

Holden attended the University of Washington where he received a Ph. D. in oceanography before earning his post-doctor at the University of Georgia. He then went on to further his science career through numerous analytical deep sea ventures, partnership in several NASA projects and independent research in microbial physiology, said Alexandrina Deschamp, interim associate dean of the Commonwealth Honors College. It was around then, said Holden, that he began searching for greater meaning and purpose, which he eventually found in the roots of Christianity. In his talk, Holden drew on his experience as a scientist and devoted Christian to address the question of whether science and faith can exist simultaneously or are by nature contradictory.

Holden’s talk was largely driven by questions from members of the audience, which sought to discover how science and religion can coexist and where, if anywhere, their limits lie. In his view, many issues we face today, from sustainability to technology and natural disasters, have not only a scientific element, but a societal or moral component as well. It is in this intersection that the overlap between science and faith becomes apparent, he said. According to Holden, science and religion both exist as truth.

“This doesn’t mean that science and religion agree on everything, but I’m at peace with these two aspects of my life being together as one” said Holden.

Emphasized in Holden’s talk was his belief that the only way for society to progress is with respect and open-mindedness, regarding those beliefs that differ from one’s own.

Many of the questions addressed by Holden focused on a handful of topics ranging from the reconciliation of religious ideology with real-world tragedies to the seemingly contradictory relationship between faith and scientific fact. Holden cited the former as “the most challenging question to (his) faith.”

Holden also addressed a question regarding the apparent conflict between the concrete foundation of science, which relies heavily on fact and the search for knowledge, and the more ambiguous notion of faith. In response, Holden stated his belief that the two areas exist in separate domains. That is, the substance of religion exists outside of science’s area of space, energy, time and matter, which by contrast is where science takes place.

Also among the most highlighted points was the necessity of an appreciation for a diversity of beliefs, Holden said. He acknowledged that he does not have all the answers and recognizes that, in fact, the answers are not always black and white. Some things are, and will likely remain, unclear, but this connection between science and religion has allowed him to find greater meaning, said Holden.

Tara Dowd can be reached at [email protected]

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Microbiology professor James Holden speaks about the intersection of science and religion”

1. StupidAtheist.com on February 24th, 2016 9:06 am

Hopefully, the bulk of his audience was made up of psychology majors.

The ability of even a well-trained [ note: not “disciplined”, but “trained” ] human brain to compartmentalize conflicting notions in such a way that bi-polar views of reality can seemingly co-exist with tranquility inside the same head is absolutely fascinating…

2. Omololu Fagunwa on March 28th, 2018 5:35 am

Science and Faith are not always at war…..Leviticus shows an expert instruction on Public Health. Challenges face in public health for instance remain same partly because religious affiliations are not seeing and appreciating the connection between faith and science(in this case health). That iss why some will not take vaccination, blood transfusion, drugs, etc for faith reasons, thereby widening the challenge.

As to core science, there will be areas where the lines dont meet, e.g I have the man is at the centre of God heart in creation. This does not justify cruelty to other creations, but simply that man has duty of care according to Gensis 1:26-28, to make the environment okay for all creation. God gave man. Redemption plan, man get saved not animals and plants..

However,, as a microbiologist I see a clear connection between my lab and faith. I believe in God will can use faith to bring out facts.

• Microbiology professor James Holden speaks about the intersection of science and religion

UMass hockey knocks off New Hampshire 4-2

Jacob Pritchard’s trio of points thrust No. 4 UMass past New Hampshire

Todos los estadounidenses merecen el derecho a votar

Cinco mujeres exitosas para admirar

Minutewomen top Central Connecticut 74-59

UMass gets blown out in season finale against Georgia

UMass tops Holy Cross to continue hot start

UMass boxing sends eight fighters to Fall Brawl at Lock Haven

Bobby Kaiser’s goal lifts UMass hockey to 3-1 win over Holy Cross

UMass men’s basketball turns in lackadaisical performance against Howard