Three UMass football players arraigned Tuesday following weekend arrest

(Collegian File Photo)
(Collegian File Photo)

Three current and one former Massachusetts football players were arraigned in court Tuesday morning for violating the Town of Amherst’s noise bylaw.

According to a report from the Daily Hampshire Gazette, seven police cruisers arrived at Alpine Commons, 133 Belchertown Road, at 12:04 a.m Saturday night. to disperse more than 100 people attending a party inside the apartment.

Alain Leneus, 23, Lamarriel Taylor, 20, Darrian Josey, 20, and Marquis Young, 21, were all arrested on charges of violating the town’s noise bylaw, according to Amherst Police Detective Michael Forcrum. Both Leneus and Taylor were listed as residents of 133 Belchertown Road.

All four men were arraigned in Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown on Tuesday, according to the clerk’s office. They were found responsible for violating the bylaw, but the charges were lessened to a civil infraction and the matter was disposed, the court said.

UMass spokesperson Molly O’Mara said the team was aware of the report and is currently gathering information, but did not have an official statement as of Tuesday afternoon.

Josey, Taylor and Young are all currently listed on UMass’ roster, while Leneus, who was a senior this past season, is no longer with the team.

Young emerged as a star running back for the Minutemen during his freshman campaign as he ran for 960 yards and seven touchdowns on 152 carries in 2015. Young ran for 240 years and three touchdowns in UMass’ season finale against Buffalo, a 31-26 win.

Leneus appeared in nine games for the Minutemen last season and made two tackles in their season-opening 48-14 loss against Colorado Sept. 12, 2015.

Neither Josey nor Taylor made appearances for UMass in 2015.

Two other arrests were made over the weekend, according to the Gazette report.

Police also charged Cody Holmes, 21, with disorderly conduct Sunday morning following a fight outside McMurphy’s.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.