Student groups come together to host inclusive all you can eat pancake party

By Marie MacCune

(Collegian File Photo)

Student organizations from across the University of Massachusetts campus have joined together to host “Community Inclusion Experience and All You Can Eat Pancakes!” on Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Newman Catholic Center.

The event is meant to “raise awareness and contribute to expanding the conversation on the issue of inclusion at UMass – with primary but not sole focus on disability inclusion” according to the event’s Facebook page.

“In a symbolically significant step (towards) creating a more accepting and accessible campus, all food served will be certified as kosher to allow people of more faiths to come and enjoy this event,” the page also said.

The Newman Catholic Center, UMass Hillel, Orthodox Union Heshe and Harriet Seif Jewish Learning Initiative on Campus (OU-JLIC), Colleges Against Cancer, the Asian American Student Association (AASA), Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Chi Omega sorority are all sponsors of the event.

Attendees are asked to make a suggested donation of $5. Proceeds will be split between four different charities: Amherst Survival Center, Jericho House, Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and Yachad/NJCD: The National Jewish Council for Disabilities.

The event’s GoFundMe page has a donation goal of $50,000.

Marie MacCune can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MarieMacCune.