Amherst Police Log: April 8-10

(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)
(Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian)

Friday, April 8:

8:08 a.m.: A woman allegedly barged into a neighbor’s apartment at 266 East Hadley Rd. and assaulted her in front of her children. The upstairs tenant told police that her neighbor’s children were always disruptive and there was a constant marijuana smell that emanated from the apartment. Police issued the alleged assailant a court summons and advised her how to approach noise complaints in the future.

11:05 a.m.: Police stopped a driver near Lot 50 after observing him smoking marijuana from a pipe. The driver passed a sobriety test and was allowed to depart. Officers did confiscate the marijuana and pipe for destruction.

11:06 a.m. Lydia Barrett, 20, of Spartanburg, South Carolina was arrested for shoplifting by concealing merchandise. Barrett was stopped at the Big Y at 175 University Dr. by a loss prevention employee. A staff member asked Barrett if she had any more stole property after she was detained, she said no. A responding officer asked Barrett is she had any further stolen property, she said no. A second officer repeated the question to which Barrett again said no. Officers searched Barrett and found more stolen items. They arrested her.

3:41 p.m.: A young male laid in the middle of Montague Road and refused to move, creating a disturbance. By the time officers arrived he stood in front of Cumberland Farms “having a smoke.”

8:26 p.m.: Aljava Johnson, 41, of Amherst was arrested for drug possession and cultivation to distribute a class D drug. A PVTA bus driver contacted police and reported that Johnson kept harassing passengers and refused to exit the bus.

10:56 p.m.: A man living at 51 Butterfield Terrace called police after he discovered a suspicious package outside his doorstep. The reporting party opened the box, shipped from Thailand, to find a white package which he claimed he did not order. An officer assisted the man in opening the package to discover some coins. The man remembered he ordered the coins from Thailand.

11:35 p.m.: Police issued a summons for underage possession of alcohol to a man at 111 Fearing St.

Saturday, April 9:

12:59 a.m.: Police stopped a male along Main Street for carrying a realty sign he’d stolen along his walk. Police made the man return the sign.
1:27 a.m.:  Officers ordered a college aged male walking along Sunset Avenue carrying a mailbox to return the property to its owners.

2:51 p.m.: A dog got loose from a home near Watson Farms and chased after someone down the road. An officer located the pooch a couple blocks over and notified its owner.

7:21 p.m.: A woman known to police walked into the station to report an assault that took place next door at First Congregational Church. She claimed a man punched her and a friend in the face. Officers followed up with the accused who stated he only pointed at the women and told her not “to call him a pedophile.” Witnesses said no physical altercation took place.

Sunday, April 10:

1:11 a.m.: An intoxicated white male mistook a house on South East Street as the location of a party he’d attended earlier that day. Officers described the white male as intoxicated and inappropriately dressed for the weather. He wore a Hawaiian shirt, a fishing hat and was not wearing shoes. They provided a courtesy transport back to his home on College Street.

2:54 a.m.: A caller reported seeing a male smash a light at the Newman Center with a fire extinguisher.

6:18 p.m.: Someone reported an altercation between a man and woman behind the First Congregational Church. A man restrained his girlfriend who was belligerently drunk. An officer mediated the situation.

9:23 p.m.: A young man reported that a friend he’d been drinking with claimed he was going to shoot the reporting party in the face. An officer located the suspected party and found him to be very intoxicated. The situation was resolved.
Brendan Deady can be reached at [email protected].