Mother of deceased drug informant Eric Sinacori files civil lawsuit against UMass for alleged breach of conduct

The mother of Eric Sinacori, a University of Massachusetts student who died of a heroin overdose three years ago, filed a civil lawsuit against the University for an alleged breach of conduct.

Francesca Sinacori, of Whitehouse Station, N.J., is seeking $5 million from UMass, alleging that the police program which used her son as a confidential informant violated her right to be informed about her son’s disciplinary record and drug use, according to a MassLive article.

The lawsuit also seeks $1 million from Jesse Carillo, a 27-year old graduate student charged of distributing heroin and involuntary manslaughter, for “willful, wanton or reckless conduct” which led to Eric Sinacori’s death. A police officer identified as “John Doe” is also listed as a defendant in the lawsuit.

Eric Sinacori was arrested after selling LSD and MDMA to an undercover police officer. The University of Massachusetts Police Department later recovered a hypodermic needle from his room.

The breach of conduct alleged by Francesca Sinacori refers to, according to MassLive, the UMass Student Code of Conduct, which stated that violations of UMass alcohol and drug policies by a student under the age of 21 would result in a notification of the student’s legal guardians.

However, Sinacori’s involvement in the UMPD’s confidential informant program prevented his parents from being notified of his record, keeping them in the dark.

The complaint against the University says that UMPD were not trained to recognize drug addicts and did not make an effort to help Sinacori, according to Masslive.

The complaint also alleged that the actions of UMPD put Sinacori at further risk, by immediately arresting a drug dealer after Sinacori had bought drugs from him. The complaint said this made it clear to people in the “UMass drug scene” that Sinacori was cooperating with law enforcement, according to Masslive.

The complaint also says that an undercover police officer returned $700 to Sinacori after confiscating it from his room during his initial arrest, and alleged that Sinacori used the money to buy drugs.

UMass Executive Director of Strategic Communications Ed Blaguszewski said UMass does not comment on pending legal matters and that the confidential informant program was suspended by the University after learning about Sinacori’s involvement.

“Subsquently, the University permanently ended the confidential informant program in January 2015, following a comprehensive, three-month review by an 11-member campus working group,” he added.

While the UMPD had previously referred to the confidential informant program as a “core component” of their drug enforcement strategy, the ending of the confidential informant program appears to have had little impact on drug arrests at UMass, which did not see an uptick in drug arrests after that point.

Francesca Sinacori is being legally represented by Northampton attorneys David Hoose and Luke Ryan.

Stuart Foster can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter @Stuart_C_Foster.