Hanan Ashrawi speaks on prospect of peace in Palestine

By Josh Raposa

Benno Kraehe/Daily Collegian)

(Benno Kraehe/Daily Collegian)

Hanan Ashrawi, activist and academic, spoke at Amherst College on Dec. 8 about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the prospect of peace. The discussion, held in the Cole Assembly Room, was followed by a question and answer section.

Ashrawi is an internationally recognized diplomat who has engaged in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. She was the first woman elected to the Palestine National Council.

Ashrawi began her discussion by placing an importance on contextualizing history.

“We are coming up on the anniversaries of the Balfour Declaration, the U.N. partition Plan and the Six Years’ War. It is important in moving forward that we understand the implications of history on the present” said Ashrawi.

Ashrawi continued in discussing, what she calls the “unilateral peace process.” She emphasized that there exists a fatal flaw to the ongoing discussion in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“The peace process has become an abstraction versus an actual reality,” she said.

In this sentiment, she explained the characteristics of this specific process.

“There are no clear terms of reference to international law and virtually no accountability for Israel regarding the process itself. The United States has also been complicit in this process by continuing to unilaterally support Israeli policy,” Ashrawi stated.

Ashrawi focused specifically on the occupation. Regarding the role that Palestine has under Israeli jurisdiction, she argued that, “there has been a fulfillment of a functional versus a territorial approach.”

She refers to the lack of legitimacy ascribed to the Palestinian people. As a political organization, they do not maintain political autonomy, she said.

During the peace process, this statelessness becomes troublesome in attempting to figure out how it is that these “states” are supposed to conduct themselves, Ashrawi argued.

“What results is a stark power asymmetry where the Palestinians have to receive the permission of the occupiers to grant them the right to self-determination,” Ashrawi explained.

Ashrawi argued that there were three major features that characterize the modern peace process.

“Firstly there is an emerging sense of impunity in the Israeli government, an emerging sense of exceptionalism and power that contributes to the dehumanization of the Palestinian,” she said.

“Secondly is this divine right extremism, a compelling sense of messianic zeal. Along with that comes a distortion of history, rationalizing discrimination, and revisionist narratives,” she added. She finished with the third point, the “military definition of security.” Ashrawi argued that Israeli security has been defined in terms of Israeli military control over the situations in Palestine, which does not work as a prerequisite for peace.

The result, Ashrawi explained, was a type of ethnic cleansing wherein the Palestinian has been “deprived of the very components of their own identity.”

“It fulfills this displacement-replacement paradigm. An entire population of stateless people have lost their culture, history and have had a nomenclature imposed upon them in various settlements,” she said.

Ashrawi commented on the growing global trends that continue to exacerbate the problems of the Palestine region.

“It seems like this rise of populism and, specifically, post Arab Spring political fragmentation is contributing to a revival of empire,” she said, using the civil war in Syria as an example.

Regarding the potential prospect of peace in the future, Ashrawi stated, “Is peace possible? I think it’s possible but not probable.”

Aidan Barry, a sophomore economics and finance major at the University of Massachusetts, articulated his moral outrage when thinking of the conflict.

“I just don’t understand how, in violation of all these laws, we can say that it is remotely okay to do this. To build settlements in homes and displace thousands,” said Barry.

Michael Oliveira, a sophomore economics and finance major, expressed a similar sentiment.

“I think it is concerning. But I think from a realist point of view, there’s no going back. We can’t undo what’s happened from World War I. Hopefully there can be some type of peace eventually but it needs to be done along realist lines,” said Oliveira.

Ashrawi concluded with a hopeful message however: “What keeps me going is the hope of the Palestinians. I truly believe it will be people like you who can change this process.”

Joshua Raposa can be reached at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Hanan Ashrawi speaks on prospect of peace in Palestine”

1. Arafat on December 18th, 2016 2:27 am

Since when is there a “Palestine”? Last I’d heard that was an area made up by Yasir Arafat a man who stole hundreds of millions of dollars in international aid. Seems like a man we can all trust, no?

No? You say “no”? That’s right…No.

There is no Palestine. Never was. The Palestinians are intruders into a land that Jews have lived in for over 3,000 years. Judea and Smaria are ancient Jewish lands no different than Pakistan was once an ancient Hindu land prior to the Islamic jihad and conquering of that geographic region.

Islam is the most modern (recent) major religion and wherever an Islamic country exists it exists because of jihad against the native people. Most recently we’ve seen this happen in Sudan, when Muslim jihadists committed genocide against the black Africa Animist people and replaced them with more Muslims.

And, of course, this is what Palestinians dreadm of doing against the Jews of Israel. The Muslims want to destroy and kill the Jews no differently than they did to the Animists of Sudan, the Hindus who once lived in Pakistan and Bangladesh, the Buddhists who once lived in Afghanistan, the Christians who once thrived in Tureky, etc, etc, etc…

[Reply]

• Hanan Ashrawi speaks on prospect of peace in Palestine

UMass softball run-rules Hartford, 8-0

MASSPIRG holds panel discussing college affordability

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences holds panel discussion on the spread of disinformation

Defense and team effort key for UMass women’s lacrosse against Richmond

UMass softball falls flat in loss to Boston College

Another road trip for UMass women’s lacrosse has team staying loose

UMass track and field stays focused on championship season

UMass baseball still slumping at the plate

Hitting woes continue for UMass baseball in 5-1 loss to Siena

No. 18 UMass men’s lacrosse travels to Fairfield Saturday in search of eighth straight win