Police Log: Friday, March 16 – Sunday, March 18

Friday, March 16, 2018

Liquor Law Violation

11:41 a.m.: A person was found drinking a 24-ounce beer on the stairs of a parking garage at 51 Boltwood Walk. He followed instructions when he was asked to dump out the beer.

Disturbance

4:11 p.m.: A woman reported that she and a partner were canvassing the town, and a male party in a dark blue sweatshirt with camouflage pants was following them for approximately 25 minutes, yelling derogatory comments. One reporting party was particularly unhappy that the police were unable to make him stop, and the party was educated on this issue and advised by the police that they would take action if they could.

Breaking and Entering

4:28 p.m.: A resident was home at 275 East Hadley Rd., and she reported that someone was trying to enter her home through a back window; the party attempting to do so was arrested on misdemeanor, disturbing the peace and breaking and entering.

Traffic

4:38 p.m.: Multiple 911 callers reported a power line was down in the vicinity of Rolling Green Apartment Office, 422 Belchertown Rd., and was blocking Route 9 with motor vehicles striking it. Four parking cones were placed at the beginning and end of the downed wires. The wires were secured with rocks to keep them from bounding up. A cable company was notified to respond and contacted.

Suspicious Activity

8:41 p.m.: A woman reported that there were seven or eight people standing in or around the ATM at People’s United Bank on 25 East Pleasant St.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:17 a.m.: A black 2017 Honda HR-V was stopped. A 35 was issued to the operator for failing to stop/yield.

12:46 a.m.: A tan 2002 Acura 4D was stopped at North Amherst Motors on 78 Sunderland Rd. The operator was issued a 35 for a defective headlight.

1:14 a.m.: A gray 2008 Ford Focus SE was stopped for a defective DS headlight. Upon stopping the car, the passengers were moving around the vehicle and appeared to be concealing items. Police could see the front seat passenger move a large bag behind his seat. The occupants were removed and a frisk for weapons was conducted. It was discovered the occupants were attempting to hide some marijuana and a large bong inside the vehicle after they were stopped. The operator was not impaired due to marijuana, and they were issued a 35 for the headlight and for an open container of marijuana. They were advised by police of the potential consequences of OUI drugs and open container of marijuana violations.

3:05 p.m.: A gray 2001 Volvo V40 was stopped at 256 North Pleasant St., because the registered operator’s driver’s license was expired. The registered operator presented a valid New Hampshire license, and she was advised to convert her license to Massachusetts as she indicated she was now a Massachusetts resident.

8:47 p.m.: A white 2002 Nissan Maxima was stopped for a defective DS headlight and plate lights in the vicinity of Cousin’s Market, 11 East Pleasant St. The vehicle was slow to stop and found a parking spot near the market before stopping. While speaking to the operator, police observed a large amount of air freshener visible inside the vehicle. The female passenger was clearly under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. She was observed shoving something between her seat and the center console while police were standing next to the vehicle. Upon removing the occupants from the vehicle, the operator became very nervous and repeatedly told officers that he did not know the passenger at all and had only picked her up because she asked him for a ride. Once no weapons were located inside the vehicle, a K-9 conducted an exterior sniff of the vehicle. No alerts to narcotics were reported. The operator was issued a written warning for the headlight and advised the driver to be careful when picking up unknown individuals on the side of the road.

Noise Complaint

2:10 a.m.: There was a noise complaint of loud music at Crestview Apartments, 1001 North Pleasant St., Apartment 39B. Police observed a screen leaning up against the rear of the building and some footprints in the snow going around the building. Police checked all doors and windows; all was secure. Nothing further suspicious was observed. Only one resident was found in the apartment playing loud music. He was advised of the complaint and the town bylaw. The music was shut off.

Traffic

11:12 a.m.: A cable wire across the road in the vicinity of 427 Belchertown Rd., that was unattached from the listed location, was removed from the roadway. Police advised dispatch to notify Comcast. Reporting parties reported a line down across the road. This was reported the previous night, and Comcast did not address it. Police contacted Comcast again and told them to expedite the response to address the line down.

Motor Vehicle Crash

2:44 a.m.: A person was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, operating to endanger and open container violation after they crashed into a telephone pole in the vicinity of 800 Main St.

5:22 p.m.: Vehicle one was parked legally in the roadway in the vicinity of 101 Farmington Rd. Vehicle two was practicing parking when it struck vehicle one. The operator of vehicle two had a permit only, and they were towed. There were no injuries.

Animal Complaint

5:51 p.m.: Reporting party called earlier stating that the cat ran up the tree, and the owner of the cat climbed up the tree as well and was stuck at Aspen Chase, Building 7, 615 Main St. The reporting party stated that he will not let go of the cat in order to climb down. The cat owner eventually got out of the tree. The police were unable to assist them in their efforts but made some suggestions regarding the situation.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

9:29 p.m.: The reporting party at Hampshire College, 893 West St. reported a dark sedan with Pennsylvania plates driving 20 miles per hour in the middle of both lanes on the yellow lines. An area search was conducted.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:15 a.m.: The registered operator of a green 2005 Subaru Legacy was stopped for a defective PS tail light at 364 North Pleasant St. They were issued a 35 for the tail light and for no seat belt.

12:30 a.m.: A blue 2013 Volkswagen Jetta was stopped because the vehicle had a passenger side headlight out. The operator stated he was aware and was going to get the bulb replaced.

1:19 a.m.: A man was arrested for operating under the influence of liquor, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and negligent lights violation. The operator was stopped at Cousin’s Market, 11 East Pleasant St. Inventory of the listed vehicle was conducted. All damages and property were noted. The vehicle was later safely towed by Ernie’s Towing.

1:51 a.m.: A green 2005 Subaru Legacy was stopped at 211 Lincoln Ave.; the motor vehicle had previously been stopped for a passenger side tail light being out.

Motor Vehicle Crash

12:08 p.m.: A rear end crash was reported in the vicinity of Ginger Garden, 351 Northampton Rd. The operator of a gray 2010 Honda Civic was issued a citation for failure to use care in starting. They and the operator of a silver 2014 Subaru XVC were left under their own power by police.

Suspicious Activity

12:58 p.m.: The reporting party reported a male party loitering outside the Bank of America on 75 East Pleasant St. Police found the man in the area, but nothing suspicious was observed.

Animal Complaint

4:24 p.m.: The reporting party reported a yellow lab that kept running in and out of the road in the vicinity of 337 Pine St. The area was checked, but the dog was gone on arrival.

Noise Complaint

5:13 p.m.: Loud music and people urinating outside at 179 Northampton Rd. were reported. There was a small party of approximately 10 to 20 people reported. The residents were cooperative and ended the party. The town bylaw for unlawful noise was explained. Upon police arrival, approximately six people were outside listening to music. Two tenants were identified, and they were cooperative when asked to quell the noise. They were advised about guests urinating on the property in view of others. The tenants ended the party and were given a verbal warning.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

8:11 p.m.:  A white 2017 Jeep Cherokee was reported for operating erratically, driving very slowly –around 14 miles an hour. The vehicle was stopped at 740 Belchertown Rd., and the operator advised that they were unfamiliar with the area. No enforcement action was taken.

Disturbance

8:15 p.m.: The reporting party requested assistance removing a male party from Amherst Works, 11 Amity St. The reporting party advised officers that the involved party had violated business policies and no longer was welcomed in the business. The involved party refused to leave and was uncooperative and irrational all while recording the incident. The involved party was eventually instructed to leave and did so.

Monday, March 19, 2018

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:19 a.m.: A red 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT was stopped in the vicinity of Colonial Village Apartment, 81 Belchertown Rd., for using parking lights only. The operator stated it was a new car and she did not know how to work the lights as hers had been all automatic previously. As the motor vehicle was new, she did not have the new registration but did have the title. It was checked to be okay. The lights were explained and a 35 was issued.

12:53 a.m.: A gray 2006 Toyota Prius was stopped at 259 Main St. for an illegal right turn at a red light. The registered operator had a revoked license due to a mistake at the RMV. She was given a citation and a ride home.

Jackson Cote can be reached at [email protected].