UMass wins free Cardi B concert

The Concert will be held on April 25 in the Mullins Center at 8 p.m.
(Tinder official Facebook page)

The popular dating app Tinder has recently announced the University of Massachusetts as the winner of their “Tinder U” #SwipeOff competition, resulting in UMass students winning a free concert featuring popular hip-hop artist Cardi B on April 25 at 8 p.m. in the Mullins Center.

The #SwipeOff competition was a nationwide competition consisting of five rounds between 64 colleges in the United States to compete for a free concert from Cardi B. The winner was determined by whichever college had the most students swipe “right” on their Tinder accounts.  

UMass and Northeastern University were both placed in the championship round of the competition with UMass ultimately winning with the most swipes.

Tickets to the free concert will be available at the Mullins Center Box Office starting at 10 a.m. on Thursday, April 19 and will be issued on a first come first serve basis. Only Currently enrolled UMass students with a valid UMass ID and proof of a Tinder profile will be issued tickets.

In response to the recent victory, many UMass students were excited.

“It’s lit!” said senior biology major Kelly Miller. “I swiped a couple times for Cardi B on Tinder. It was actually my little sister who is a UMass freshman that first told me about the contest.”

“I’m excited because I personally like Cardi B because she’s a New York native just like I am, and it would be cool to go to a free Cardi B concert,” said junior biology major Christian Eveillard. “I like her music, I think she is raw and I think she has raw talent. She is very unapologetic, and she has unique views and she doesn’t conform.”

“I’m super excited for Cardi B to come to campus, her new album was definitely history making and I’m excited that UMass got chosen. I’m a little confused about how to get tickets, but hopefully that will be cleared up,” said Nicholas Ozorowski, a senior political science major.

“I just found out about [the concert] today, but I was shocked to find out that she was coming here. I think it’s pretty cool, you know. As far as her music goes, I think it’s very interesting to hear, it’s kind of a throwback to the old-school female rappers, that she’s so raw. It brings me back to a different time,” said junior psychology major Tyler Hicks.

Many said that they will try to attend the concert.

In the past month Cardi B has released her debut studio album “Invasion of Privacy,” featuring hit singles like “Bartier Cardi” and “Bodak Yellow.” The album rose to number one on the Billboard 200 chart, making her the fifth female artist to top the albums chart after Nicki Minaj, Eve, Foxy Brown and Lauryn Hill.

And only a day later, the young rapper revealed that she was pregnant during her live musical guest performance on Saturday Night Live, which gained mass attention across social media.

Alvin Buyinza can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter at abuyinza_news.