Amherst man transported to hospital Tuesday after suffering gunshot wound to leg

Leverett man arrested Tuesday afternoon

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

By Hayley Johnson, Editor in Chief

A 20-year-old Amherst man was transported to Baystate Medical Center by the Amherst Fire Department Tuesday afternoon after suffering a single gunshot wound to the right leg, according to a press release from the Amherst Police Department.

APD responded to 826 North Pleasant St. on Tuesday, July 24 at 2:47 p.m. After a short investigation, Amherst Police Detectives arrested Kalop P. Shetrawski, 24, of Leverett. Shetrawski is charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm.

According to the press release distributed by Police Lt. William Menard, Shetrawski is expected to be arraigned July 25 at Eastern Hampshire District Court. He is being held at Hampshire County House of Correction on a $25,000 cash bail.

This is being considered an isolated incident and there is no danger to the public, according to APD.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Amherst man transported to hospital Tuesday after suffering gunshot wound to leg”

1. john aimo on July 27th, 2018 2:39 am

I would write that this is an indication of the great and safe community we live in, along with
    the recent bus stabbing.

But I assume my comments like others will be censored.

2. john aim on July 27th, 2018 3:35 am

The man who enraged in the shooting was an immigrant, Kalop Shetrawski and the recent bus stabbing on the pvta bus line was done by a Muslim immigrant.

It’s pretty obvious that it’s unusual for major crimes to occur in a small town and typically the people who commit these crimes are not from the area .

And yet the Collegian like a typical liberal newspaper, when a criminal is a minority or migrant, deliberately leaves their name out to avoid the association of violent crime committed by minorities or immigrants.

• Amherst man transported to hospital Tuesday after suffering gunshot wound to leg

Paparo: Signing with Premier Lacrosse League a “simple decision”

UMass softball’s seniors go out in style

UMass’ season ends in the A-10 tournament with 8-2 loss to Fordham

With its back to the wall, UMass delivers against Saint Louis

Minutewomen struggle in opening loss against GW, rally back to beat St. Louis in elimination bracket

Minutewomen seeking redemption in Atlantic 10 Tournament

UMass softball looks to win first A-10 tournament since 2012

UMass has season finale rained out after splitting double header with George Mason

‘Not Backing Down’ panel draws in hundreds of attendees despite legal controversy

UMass Permaculture Gardens available online in 360-degree view