Amherst man transported to hospital Tuesday after suffering gunshot wound to leg

Leverett man arrested Tuesday afternoon
(Collegian file photo)

A 20-year-old Amherst man was transported to Baystate Medical Center by the Amherst Fire Department Tuesday afternoon after suffering a single gunshot wound to the right leg, according to a press release from the Amherst Police Department.

APD responded to 826 North Pleasant St. on Tuesday, July 24 at 2:47 p.m. After a short investigation, Amherst Police Detectives arrested Kalop P. Shetrawski, 24, of Leverett. Shetrawski is charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm.

According to the press release distributed by Police Lt. William Menard, Shetrawski is expected to be arraigned July 25 at Eastern Hampshire District Court. He is being held at Hampshire County House of Correction on a $25,000 cash bail.

This is being considered an isolated incident and there is no danger to the public, according to APD.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.