Songs at Sunset

People of all ages attended the concert

The cool air on Sunday was complimented by the smell of fresh popcorn and the sound of music at the Commonwealth Honors College.

“Live Music at Sunset,” hosted by CHC, showcased some of many talents of the undergraduate study body at the University of Massachusetts. The event kicked off with a performance from the on-campus a capella group, Wicked Pitch. Sophomore communication and theater major Ben Nadelstein, who joined the group last year, said Wicked Pitch was thankful for the chance to showcase this year’s talent.

“We thought it’d be a great opportunity to perform some of our songs, and practice in a great environment,” Nadelstein said.

The co-ed group’s songs ranged from the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” to the “Drake and Josh” theme song. Freshman communication major Douglas Appleman was the lead vocalist for the Sunset performance, but this is not always the case.

“We make sure everyone in the group has at least one solo once we get our full set,” explained Appleman.

However, Wicked Pitch isn’t the only group that showcased their voices on Sunday. The musical talents ranged from original songs to covers.

Freshman mathematics major Ryan Lerner made his a capella debut as a beatboxing member of Wicked Pitch, and also performed an original song on keyboard.

“I wrote this a couple years ago after a show and how you blink and everything is over or changing. And now in college, it feels like that again,” said Lerner, before his performance.

Senior mechanical engineering major Erik Simon Vuoritie also brought out his talents on the guitar by covering Fleetwood Mac’s “Tango in the Night” for a mystified

Vuoritie was accompanied by another singer, covering “Work Song” by Hozier in a

The gathering attracted not only UMass students, but also some local Amherst families. Brady and John Messina, six-year-old twins, happened upon the event while out on a ride with their parents. “They sang really good. It was like rock stars!”

Isabelle Sarra can be reached at [email protected].