UMass women’s soccer win streak finally comes to an end at Fordham

Minutewomen move to 4-0-1 in Atlantic 10 play after 1-1 draw with Fordham

The Massachusetts women’s soccer team’s eight-game win streak came to a halt Thursday night in a 1-1 draw against Fordham.

“We started slow and Fordham came out with amazing energy,” said UMass coach Jason Dowiak. “This is the latest game we’ve played all year and having to kind of kill time all day I think maybe set us a little bit back in our mental readiness but once we settled in, our team put a lot more pressure on [Fordham] and we were able to generate more chances.”

The Minutewomen (9-2-1, 4-0-1 A10) surrendered the first foal of the game to the Rams (7-5-1, 4-0-1 A10) in the 64th minute when the Rams’ Amanda Miller chipped the ball over the head of UMass goalkeeper Peyton Ryan.

“We gave up the goal, unfortunately against the run of play,” said Dowiak. “We were all over them and we had a lot of good chances that we didn’t capitalize on and then they got one break. Credit to their player for finishing it but it was just a matter of time before we felt [our] goal was going to come.”

The goal finally did come in the 87th minute courtesy of senior forward Erin Doster. Doster took a long through ball from Lauren Bonavita and buried it from just over 25 yards out over the head of goalkeeper Kelly LaMorte while being chased by three Fordham defenders.

“Lauren played a great ball over the top and Erin just absolutely outworked everybody,” said Dowiak. “[Doster’s] second half and both overtimes she didn’t come off. She was just a monster for us and it was a great individual effort to finish the goal off.”

The game would remain 1-1 until the final seconds ticked off as both teams moved to 4-0-1 in conference play while the Minutewomen continued their trend of outshooting their opponents, which they did by a 13-7 margin in Thursday night’s game.

“The first half they outshot us 4-1 and then through the second half and overtime we took 12 more shots to their three,” said Dowiak. He added, “For us, the reason that we get chances is because we have possession and we didn’t have possession in the first half well enough. It’s easy to get numbers forward. It’s hard for teams to deal with the amount of pressure when you have seven or eight players high on the field not allowing balls to get out.”

Looking ahead, Dowiak and the Minutewomen are preparing to take on the likes of Saint Louis and VCU, both of whom are tied atop the A10 with conference records of 5-0-0.

“I think for us it’s not about making changes to what we do, it’s just doing things better,” said Dowiak. “Being as good in possession as we can, being as dynamic in our movements to maintain and progress up the field, those are the details that we’re focused on.”

The Minutewomen hope to return to their winning ways Sunday afternoon when they return home to take on George Mason at Rudd Field.

Ethan Nash can be reached at [email protected] and followed on twitter @ethan_nash15.