Letter: UMass College Democrats urge you to vote on Tuesday

Students are directly impacted by Amherst decisions

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

By Opinion and Editorial Staff

To help get out the student vote, the UMass College Democrats and the John Page for Town Council campaign are offering all registered voters in Amherst, especially students, rides to the polls on election day via this link on our Facebook page. As the Nov. 6 election looms closer, it is crucial the students of the University of Massachusetts come to terms with the immense power and choices they have in this election.

In Massachusetts, we have a choice for whom we want to represent us in the U.S. Senate, House of Representatives, Governor and state level elected officials as well as crucial ballot initiatives. Our region has experienced massive political change, partly due to the resignation of our State Senator Stan Rosenberg, who wielded a massive amount of power as president of the Massachusetts State Senate. In addition to the importance of state and federal elections, students in Amherst have a huge impact on the town elections this year after Amherst voted to remove the town meeting and replace it with town council. This election is so crucial because the first town council will set precedent for years to come.

As students, we are directly impacted by decisions made in the town of Amherst, such as decisions on housing, regulations on noise and ways to spur new development that is accessible to students. A key way to make sure our voices are heard and to set a meaningful precedent is to elect a student to town council this inaugural term. We hope students continue to see the impact of their vote and continue to act on it. We have seen this energy as a club. We have helped register close to 100 people to vote in the town of Amherst. In addition to expanding the local electorate, we have seen close to 500 students request absentee ballots for over a dozen states. The Town of Amherst ran early voting on campus in the student union for three days in October. During the hours the polling place was open, the energy and enthusiasm were palpable, which allowed students to cast over 700 ballots from UMass alone.

As young adults, we are part of a large voter block, yet we act like we have no political sway. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, only 38 percent of voters between the ages of 18 and 24 voted in the 2012 Presidential Election. As a generation, we have the power to shape any election in the country, especially local elections in the town of Amherst. Let’s change that number this year and let our voices be heard. Students often are vilified by many candidates across the country. It is time to show our leaders our concerns and voices need to be heard and listened to, not scapegoated and blamed for societal problems.

Happy voting,

The UMass Democrats

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Letter: UMass College Democrats urge you to vote on Tuesday”

1. Alan on November 5th, 2018 8:25 am

Election day is TUESDAY Nov 6 – Not WEDNESDAY

2. Prashant on November 5th, 2018 10:13 am

This letter provides misinformation and possible voter suppression by asking people to vote on Wednesday when the actual voting day is Tuesday. If its a mistake, you should correct it immediately and mention the correction as a footnote

3. Dakota johnson on November 5th, 2018 12:20 pm

TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS! TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!TAKE YOUR HATE SPEECH OF THIS CAMPUS!

4. Alisa Brewer on November 5th, 2018 1:00 pm

Please go vote for John Page:
    https://www.johnpageforamherst.com/

I’ve been in town-wide elected office for 16 years. I know we need his voice on this very first Town Council, and we need to set a precedent NOW that there should always be a student member on the Town Council.

Was that too boring? Vote for John Page — a lot of people will be REALLY unhappy to see a UMass student on the Town Council — BRING IT!

• Letter: UMass College Democrats urge you to vote on Tuesday

La fundadora del movimiento ‘Me Too’ Tarana Burke habla sobre liderazgo comunitario y activismo

UMass knocked out of Hockey East Tournament by BC

Minutemen fall flat in semifinal at TD Garden

¿Por qué ‘sé tu mismx’ es un consejo terrible?

麻州西部当局对于当地人口贩卖问题展开行动

‘Russian Doll’: un viaje satisfactorio a través de la locura

La mémorisation n’est pas la meilleure façon d’apprendre

‘Me Too’ founder Tarana Burke talks community leadership and activism

Western Massachusetts takes action to combat local human trafficking

UMass Mock Trial sees most successful season in program’s history