Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

Vote for the clear progressive choice

(Collegian File Photo)

(Collegian File Photo)

By Will Harmer, Letter Contributor

Our Revolution at the University of Massachusetts is proud to endorse the Bernie Sanders 2020 presidential campaign. We look forward to canvassing, phone-banking, discussing and ultimately voting to elect progressives at every level. For the steering committee of our chapter, it’s both an easy and an odd choice to endorse. Half of us held positions on the Elizabeth Warren 2018 senatorial campaign and we staffed a campaign office for the senator-turned-presidential candidate. But when Sanders declared, we didn’t wait a second: we began tabling for his campaign. For us, there’s a clear choice. It’s not even a question.

Sanders got involved in politics starting with participation in anti-Vietnam War demonstrations, hearing the words of Martin Luther King Jr. at the Lincoln Memorial and getting arrested protesting segregation in Chicago. As a Congressman, he lobbied to fund community health centers, which are managed and run by their patients and located where medical personnel are few and far between, the uninsured too many to count. As thousands die due to lack of care, these facilities will never turn anyone away due to their inability to pay. Now, with his Medicare-for-All proposal, healthcare will be a right for all Americans, allowing the sick to follow their doctor’s orders, rather than be subject to an insurance broker’s signature or veto. He never had to ‘evolve’ on gay rights, arguing against homophobic laws as early as 1972. As mayor, he helped pass gay anti-discrimination ordinances. As a Congressman, he voted against the Defense of Marriage Act, even as centrists and conservatives formed a coalition of homophobia. Regardless of what level Sanders has worked at, his proposals have been boldly radical and prescient.

Bygone are the days of centrists relegating approximately a third of Black children to poverty, demanding queer votes for yesterday’s bigots and all too eager to accept young people’s political activism only to give back high-interest student loans. They decry the Green New Deal as too costly, yet it seems that for them the climate can keep changing as long as shareholder wallets keep growing fatter. Instead, Sanders places climate change at the center of his foreign and domestic policy as shown in his proposed decoupling from the barbarity of Saudi Arabia’s actions in Yemen and murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a federal jobs guarantee to revitalize our economy and his support for the heart of Rep.Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal bill.

Further, his career is replete with fights for a more diverse array of policy-makers. From supporting the historic presidential campaign of Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition in the 1980s to today with his early support for such progressives as Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin, former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams and Colorado Governor Jared Polis, the first openly gay governor in our history. For his 2020 campaign, his team is historically diverse; there’s no reason campaigns shouldn’t look like their voters. There’s no coming-around needed for Sanders, he’s been fighting for decades. Now if we fight for it, he can continue from the presidency.

If you are interested in working toward this vision of an intersectional progressive movement, come to Our Revolution UMass Amherst’s meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 6 p.m.at Greeno Sub Shop in the basement of Greenough Hall.

Will Harmer

Treasurer of Our Revolution UMass Amherst

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Letter: Support Bernie Sanders”

1. Tyler Durden on February 26th, 2019 9:56 pm

More debt, more populism, more collectivism, more socialism, more free college, more weak citizens, more societal destruction, more attacks on democracy, more civil war… What comes next wouldn’t be pretty. Vote for literally anyone other than the 80 populists, collectivists, or socialists running in 2020 (That includes Bernie and Trump). Be careful throwing around the word revolution. The revolution that the article speaks of sounds like garbage . Which can be called in Maduro’s and Castro’s native tongue, basura.

2. NITZAKHON on February 27th, 2019 3:48 pm

Look for local zoos. They’ll be your only source of meat if Sanders gets in and has his way.

3. Erik Vegeto on March 4th, 2019 12:00 pm

The voice of social justice resounds, whether or not it is received by applause. What makes the dismantling of oppressive structures so possible, and even inevitable, is the persistence of the people who care. Nothing can stop the clear expression of truth–especially lies and prejudice , which only serve to sharpen the minds of the courageous. We know who we are, and what we’re about. Now it’s a matter of standing, despite the heckles, and learning to further refine our speech such that the truth of justice can be known perfectly. And all that batters us about is simply the winds of change. Enemies, whose power depends on injustice, become more aggressive when closer to defeat.

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

UMPD Logs: Friday, March 22 – Sunday, March 24

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

APD Logs: March 22 — March 24

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

UMass softball opens A-10 play with sweep over St. Bonaventure

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

College Baseball Notebook: Vanderbilt sweeps Florida

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

Should 16 year olds be able to vote?

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

To the SGA: Stop fighting over scraps

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ leaves more questions than answers

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

The Collegian News Hour S3 E7: Green New Deal, #MeToo and the APD K9 unit

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

GALLERY: This weekend in sports 3/23 – 3/24

• Letter: Support Bernie Sanders

Media agency owner encourages UMass to care about homelessness