Off Campus Student Center hosts button making event for ‘Galentine’s Day’

Snacks and sodas were also provided
(Nina Walat/Daily Collegian)

The Off Campus Student Center presented the “Galentine’s Day Free Button Making” event on Wednesday, where students could make free buttons while enjoying snacks and sodas.

The event was hosted in Bartlett Hall, the new location for the Off Campus Student Center due to the current renovation of the Student Union building.

The event followed a “Galentine’s Day” theme. Galentine’s Day, which originates from the popular tv show “Parks and Recreation,” takes place on Feb. 13 and looks to change the stigma of being single on Valentine’s Day through the celebration of one’s female friendships.

Crystal Lee, a senior industrial engineering major, said that it was the first button-making event that was held in Bartlett.

Lee said, “Last semester we had one but because we just moved, [this is] the first button event in this center.”

Lee also noted that the organization is looking to hold the button-making event every semester.

She said, “I have been working at the Off Campus [Student] Center since Sept. 2017, doing the button making. This is basically a button-making event, and we are trying to make it every semester. It’s basically a way to attract people to come to our center, a way to help students de-stress.”

Lee thought at the beginning of this semester, some people are already knee-deep in homework, and that the button making for them could be a way to release stress without having to spend money.

“Our events are always free to students,” she said.

“I think it is a cute idea. I tried to convince my roommate to come here but she’s busy, but she really [wanted] to come,” said Olivia Gebski, a sophomore psychology major.

“I think it’s really cute and a fun way to de-stress,” Gebski added.

According to Lee, the event always has a theme. “I think last semester it was close to finals, so we just called it ‘de-stress button making.’ But yeah, we try to make it, if there’s an event coming up, then we’ll try and make it a theme,” Lee said.

She added, “If not, it’s just ‘de-stress,’ because college students are always stressed out anyway. So de-stress is always a good theme,”  Lee said.

Shanon Fan, a senior mechanical engineering major, showed up and made some buttons. She said she heard of this event from her friend. “One of my friends actually saw the flyers for the event, [and] she thought we should go there.”

Fan also mentioned that she went to the Off Campus Student Center often because “they have free coffee and tea…and help students a lot who are off campus.”

“I really like [the Off Campus Student Center] a lot,” Fan added. “It is really nice to have a place like this, to be able to use everything that they have.”

Ying Hua can be reached at [email protected].