APD Logs: Friday, March 15 — Sunday, March 17

A stolen vehicle, dog bites and multiple disturbances at Antonio’s

The following police logs are from the Amherst Police Department from Friday, March 15, 2019 to Sunday, March 17, 2019.

Friday, March 15, 2019

Animal Complaint

11:14 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to 145 Heatherstone Road for a dog bite. An incident report was filled out.

11:17 a.m.: An incident report was filed after an officer was dispatched to 37 Tamarack Dr. for a dog bite.

Community Policing

12:09 p.m.: Police escorted a few groups of students from Amherst Regional High School, 21 Mattoon St., to the Town Common to protest global warming, oil, climate control, etc. An officer assisted pedestrians crossing between Triangle Street and Pray Street.

Suspicious

2:48 p.m.: A reporting party called about two people on the rooftop at CVS, 76 N. Pleasant St., throwing cans of soda at people in the back parking lot. The people were gone upon police arrival.

Vandalism

4:21 p.m.: A reporting party reported a possible breaking and entering to her gray 2007 Lexus GS 350 in the vicinity of 19 Prospect St. The driver’s side window was shattered by an unknown object. The reporting party believed her door was locked when she left it. She said she had already entered her vehicle and stated she did not notice if anything had moved or was missing. There were no signs of entry and the glass was left on the roadway. A message was left with the DPW.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

6:35 p.m.: A woman reported a suspicious motor vehicle across the street from her residence at 7 Olympia Dr. A male party was inside the gray 2018 Rav4. The vehicle was parked in the rear parking lot of the Nelson House, on University of Massachusetts property. Police did not see anyone inside the vehicle, and did not think it was suspicious. The UMass Police Department was notified.

Assault

6:48 p.m.: A 911 call was received from a reporting party at 188 E. Hadley Road, Apt. 145E. In the background, the reporting party initially could be heard yelling, “You just assaulted me!” Once the officer got the reporting party’s attention, he reported that his ex-roommate’s father showed up and they got into a verbal argument. The reporting party started to record the male, but the male got upset, punched him in the face, hit his phone and grabbed the reporting party by the throat. At the time of the 911 call, the reporting party was in his bedroom and the male party was on the other side of the bedroom door yelling, “You want to do this the hard way?” and “This isn’t over yet.” The involved party stated he was helping his daughter move out of the apartment, which was a last-minute decision. The reporting party was video-recording the roommate and her father as they moved her stuff out of the apartment. The daughter stated she lived in the apartment for the past year and a half, and she said the reporting party suddenly informed her that he found a new roommate and she needed to have her property out by mid-month or else he would throw it out on the curb. The daughter advised the reporting party that if she’d be out of the apartment mid-month, then she wanted half the month’s rent back. The reporting party remained in his room until police arrived. He denied repeated offers of medical attention and described the other party as a middle-aged, overweight white male with blond hair, wearing a Red Sox shirt and jeans. The officer spoke with the reporting party who said that as soon as the daughter’s property was out, he would refund her half the month’s rent. The involved party was advised that the reporting party may file a criminal complaint in the future for assault and he understood. The reporting party gathered some items and agreed to leave the apartment for a few hours in order to let the daughter move her things out. The officers advised both parties that the rent and moving out situation was a civil issue. The reporting party advised he wanted to press charges against the involved party for hitting his phone out of his hand when he was recording him. Officers advised the reporting party that he could seek a criminal complaint with the court. The reporting party was not injured. With the assistance of officers, the two sides were able to come up with an agreement for the involved party moving the belongings out of the apartment while the reporting party left. Both sides were satisfied.

Motor Vehicle Stop

8:19 p.m.: The operator of a gray 2015 Honda Odyssey was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation near 691 E. Pleasant St.

8:57 p.m.: A red 2008 Toyota Highlander was stopped near 503 S. Pleasant St. and the operator was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight.

9:55 p.m.: The operator of a blue 2014 Honda Civic was stopped near 96 Amity St. for an expired registration. The vehicle belonged to the operator’s sister and did not have all the needed information. They were parked in a legal spot and they were advised not to move the vehicle until properly registered.

Motor Vehicle Complaint

8:22 p.m.: A reporting party reported a dark-colored Cadillac with no lights on that was passing people heading eastbound on Rt. 9 in the vicinity of 556 Belchertown Road.

10:26 p.m.: Erratic operation of a gray 2005 Camry was reported by 1040 N. Pleasant St., Apt. 410. The vehicle was seen off the side of the road and over the yellow line, and had been last seen pulling into Puffton Village. An area search was conducted, and the vehicle was gone upon police arrival.

Assist Citizen

8:41 p.m.: A reporting party requested a check on his residence at 47 S. Prospect St. The reporting party and his roommates were out of town and had been receiving calls from one of the roommate’s girlfriends stating she heard sounds in the house and was locked out that day, though the residents had allowed her access to the home while they were gone. She told the reporting party she heard voices in the house and stated she left the house unlocked and went back later and it was locked. Police gained access to the residence through the basement door at the request of the reporting party. During the interior sweep of the residence, noises could be heard coming from the second floor. K9 Marvin was contacted and assisted with the search. Nothing suspicious was located and there were no signs of forced entry.

Noise Complaint

9:15 p.m.: An officer spoke to the resident at 486 Sunderland Road and advised him of a complaint about a barking dog. The resident was very understanding and cooperative and brought his three dogs inside for the night.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Noise Complaint

12:24 a.m.: A reporting party reported loud bass coming from the restaurant next door at Porta, 51 E. Pleasant St. At 1:15 a.m., the front door of the location was unsecured and approximately six people were seen inside sitting at the bar, some of whom were staff members. An officer spoke with a staff member regarding the loud music and the noise complaint from neighboring apartments. The staff advised that they have an entertainment license until 2 a.m. The staff turned off their music at this time.

Suspicious Motor Vehicle

12:44 a.m.: The Hadley Police Department reported a dark blue van crossing the center line entering town in the vicinity of Ginger Garden at 351 Northampton Road. An area search for the vehicle was negative.

Assist Citizen

2:22 a.m.: An officer was flagged down by an involved party looking for assistance on Triangle Street. She advised she was staying at the University Lodge, 345 N. Pleasant St., and was locked out of her room without her phone. The officer called the after-hours phone number for the location and was able to get the involved party a back-up key.

11:01 p.m.: A reporting party stated the male involved in the disturbance at Antonio’s Pizza at 8:07 p.m. had returned to the location and came back inside. The staff did not want him inside because he is not a customer and he was previously causing issues. The man was issued a formal trespass notice in hand by the staff.

Assist Amherst Fire Department

2:28 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to check on the Amherst Fire Department as dispatch was unable to raise AFD via radio. The officer arrived at the fire station and an AFD ambulance was leaving. Dispatch was advised.

Motor Vehicle Stop

6:34 a.m.: A verbal warning was given to the operator of white 2013 Nissan in the vicinity of 400 Amity St.

Motor Vehicle Crash

12:42 p.m.: A black 2018 Honda Accord conducted a turn in the Kelly’s Restaurant parking lot at 314 College St. and during that time, according to the operator of a red 2002 Toyota Tacoma, it appeared the Toyota was parking in that position. The Toyota drove around the Honda and as a result, the operator of the Honda flipped off the other vehicle. The Honda pulled out of the parking lot with the Toyota behind him and slammed on his brakes, admittedly for no reason, and was rear-ended. The Honda sustained minor rear bumper damage and the Toyota sustained a bent front license plate. No towing was necessary, and there were no injuries.

Traffic

3:03 p.m.: A reporting party stated a tree came down on the wire outside his residence, 444 Flat Hills Road. He said it had a small branch just touching the wire. Eversource was notified for the branches on the residential lines.

3:58 p.m.: A reporting party reported a power line down on her roof at 195 College St. No line was down. The reporting party saw a cable wire whipping in the wind, which is secured to the side of the house.

8:06 p.m.: A caller reported a male party in a wheelchair wheeling northbound in the travel lane in the vicinity of 468 West St. The travel lanes, sidewalk and roadside from the center of town to Potwine Lane were checked, but the person was gone.

10:36 p.m.: A reporting party stated two males, possibly intoxicated, were walking in the middle of the street near 316 Amity St. The area was checked; the people were gone upon police arrival.

11:41 p.m.: A reporting party at 7 Strong St. stated he was unable to pull into his driveway due to the vehicles that were blocking it. About 12 to 15 cars were parked on both sides of the roadway, making it impossible for residents to drive down the roadway to their homes. The source of the vehicles was found to be an underage, high school party at the listed location. One vehicle was towed by Ernie’s Towing to allow residents to return home. Officers remained on scene to ensure the involved parties moving their vehicles were not intoxicated and able to drive home safely. The resident of 7 Strong St. was issued a $300 citation for nuisance house.

Suspicious

6:18 p.m.: A reporting party stated he saw a white male in a blue shirt and red pants in a wheelchair in the parking lot of his residence, 175 Summer St., Apt. 15, who asked the reporting party to call the police. The reporting party asked why and the involved party did not tell him, but kept asking for him to call the police. The reporting party said he wouldn’t unless the man could tell him what was going on. The involved party then called the reporting party a racist slur and asked him for a cigarette. The reporting party refused and walked away as the involved party continued to yell at him. Post-dispatch, a female in the lobby of the apartment building was looking for her husband who had left while she was napping. The involved party’s description matched that of the husband. The woman was reunited with her husband whom she took care and custody of.

6:42 p.m.: The manager of Stackers reported a male party, possibly mentally unstable, that walked into his bar, was verbally aggressive toward customers and spit on the window when he was asked to leave. The reporting party stated the man was outside of Monkey Bar, 63 N. Pleasant St., at the time of the call. While police units were en route, the involved party was observed on a camera talking to himself before walking into Monkey Bar. He is then seen being removed by staff members. The reporting parties wished to have the involved party moved along. Stackers was advised the trespass process, which they will seek. The involved party was advised not to enter the establishment before being sent on his way.

6:56 p.m.: A person known to the police department was observed heading toward CVS, 76 N. Pleasant St., by an officer. The involved party has a history of shoplifting from the store. An officer checked the store and he was not inside.

Disturbance

8:07 p.m.: A reporting party stated a male party was inside Antonio’s Pizza, 31 N. Pleasant St., throwing chairs around, causing customers to be scared and leave the store. The involved party did not strike anyone or cause damage. He was told to leave the area and was advised he would be subject to arrest should he keep causing issues. The person was intoxicated and advised he was headed toward a shelter. The staff was unable to locate a previous trespass order for the individual. They advised they would look into issuing him another order.

Trespass

11:14 p.m.: The manager at Antonio’s Pizza, 31 N. Pleasant St., issued a male party a trespass order in hand. This male party was involved in the above disturbance at 8:07 p.m. and the assist citizen CAD at 11:01 p.m. at Antonio’s. The male was advised he would be arrested if he returns to the location. The involved party advised that he understood and left.

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Disturbance

12:38 a.m.: A reporting party stated they kicked an intoxicated male out of The Spoke, 35 E. Pleasant St. He was attempting to fight with the bouncers but his friends were with him, trying to calm him down at the time of the 911 call. The involved party was asked to leave the bar after he spilled his drink on some patrons and purposely elbowed a bouncer in the chest that was asking him to leave. The staff at the bar did not want to press charges and just wanted the involved party to leave. The involved party’s friends agreed to bring him home to avoid any further conflicts.

Motor Vehicle Stop

12:54 a.m.: The operator of a white 2018 Volkswagen Passat was stopped near 133 Belchertown Road for a red light violation. The vehicle was found to be stolen and hadn’t been returned by the operator. The vehicle was towed by Ernie’s Towing, and the Northampton Police Department was contacted, as they were entering agency.

1:28 a.m.: A black 1998 Buick Regal was stopped at 161 N. Pleasant St. for not having a front plate and having defective plate lights. A warning was issued for the violations.

6:58 a.m.: A gray 2010 Honda Accord was stopped at 71 W. Pomeroy Lane. The vehicle had a revoked registration for insurance. Ernie’s Towing was called to take the vehicle from the location. A 34-year-old Amherst resident was given a summons for speeding in violation of special regulation and operating after revocation of registration.

6:48 p.m.: A gray 2012 Toyota Corolla was stopped because the rear license decal showed an expired registration. The operator was cited for an unregistered car and Ernie’s was called. The operator spoke with their mother over the phone, who was able to renew the registration. When shown email confirmation, the officer called off Ernie’s.

Noise Complaint

1:12 a.m.: A loud party was reported at 81 Belchertown Road, Apt. 62. About 15 people were being loud and listening to loud music at the location. A warning was issued, and the noise town bylaw was explained.

2:35 a.m.: Approximately 20 to 25 people were listening to loud music and talking inside at 57 E. Pleasant St., Apt. 207. Residents were eventually cooperative in clearing the location out once the town bylaw outcomes were explained.

Assist Citizen

1:51 a.m.: Police were advised a female had left her purse hanging on the railing at A.J. Hastings, 45 S. Pleasant St., and had stumbled off intoxicated with three males. An officer checked the purse and found a passport for a description. The officer drove off and found the woman sitting on a bench by the Town Common, alone in the cold. She advised that she was just taking a break on her way home. The officer walker her to her residence to be sure she got home safely since she was intoxicated.

2:08 p.m.: A reporting party advised police of a white 2006 Subaru Impreza parked in his space at the parking garage located at 51 Boltwood Walk. A parking ticket was issued.

Stolen Motor Vehicle

12:23 p.m.: A reporting party stated his tan 150cc moped was stolen from 188 E. Hadley Road, Apt. 145A, within the last 24 hours. The vehicle had not been registered at the time, because it was only purchased two days before. The scooter was entered into police records as stolen.

Motor Vehicle Crash

2:24 p.m.: A blue 2012 Honda CRV pulled onto Northampton Road from Woodside Avenue and crashed into a white 2010 Mercedes Benz E Class. Damage was estimated to be over $1,000.

5:21 p.m.: A gray 1999 Toyota Camry was stopped at the stop sign at the end of Snell Street when it was struck from behind by a gray 2008 Honda Pilot near 301 S. Pleasant St.

Vandalism

4:41 p.m.: A reporting party stated that several kids had vandalized his vehicle, causing a lot of damage at 693 Main St. Mud was found to be thrown by a 10-year-old on and inside a gray 2009 Nissan Murano. The mother of the child and the reporting party will handle the incident themselves.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

9:10 p.m.: A reporting party stated that there was a disabled yellow taxi on the left turning lane near 351 Northampton Road. The vehicle was gone on police arrival.

Michael Connors can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @mikepconnors. Hayley Johnson can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @hayleyk_johnson.