Fire breaks out near Orchard Hill Residential Area late Wednesday night

No damages reported
(Collegian file photo)

On Wednesday night, the Amherst Fire Department responded to a fire that broke out on Observatory Road near the Orchard Hill Residential Area at the University of Massachusetts.

According to Captain David Martell of the AFD, the fire was reported to have started from a bonfire, and eventually grew to a 20-by-50-foot area after being picked up by the wind. There is no information on the reporting party who called in the incident.

Two fire engines arrived at the scene just after 11 p.m. – Fire Engine 2, which was on duty that night, and Fire Engine 3, the UMass student firefighters. The crew quickly put out and contained the fire.

No damages were reported, besides a tree that was downed. Firefighters cut down a number of other trees in the surrounding are that had been burned by the fire, and the engines left the scene just after midnight.

News and Media Relations were also contacted, but no other information is currently available at this time.

This story will be updated as more information is released.

Irina Costache can be reached at [email protected].