Palestinian Prisoners Day brings attention to human rights violations

Over 5,000 people, including children, are detained in Palestine

By Yurika Yamazaki, Collegian Staff

On Wednesday, Palestinian Prisoners Day was commemorated at the University of Massachusetts. At least 40 students, mostly from UMass, collected at the Integrative Learning Center in order to learn about Palestinian issues and connect them to their own experience.

The event was sponsored by two student groups, Students for Justice in Palestine and the Prison Abolition Collective, along with the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences and the Social Thought and Political Economy Program.

The event was aimed at building solidarity between two movements: liberation and freedom for people in Palestine. It also focused on detainees’ narrative and personal experiences.

Palestinian Prisoners Day started with an introduction of Sazia Patel, a member of SJP and a freshman STPEC and legal studies double major.

“People are arrested and detained every day in Palestine. The number is over 5,000…including children,” she said.

At the beginning of the event, attendees watched three videos which reflected on what is going on in Palestine. The first video showed elementary school students being kidnapped by military officers and a teacher trying to stop it by shouting “leave the boy alone.”

According to the following videos, Palestinian children and families were thrown into jail where they were tortured and abused by the Israeli military.

After watching the three videos, three presenters discussed Palestinian issues from their own perspective: Zeiad Abbas, the executive director of the Middle East Children’s Alliance and former political prisoner, Donald Perry, a prison justice leader and former prisoner and Buz Eienberg, an attorney for detainees in Guantanamo Bay.

“The Palestinian Prisoners Day is important because it can bring attention of political issues and occupations in Palestine, which violated human right[s] of Palestinian[s],” said Sherrill Hogen, an activist who belongs to the Middle Eastern Peace and Justice Coalition.

Hogen continued, “We know what is going on in Palestine, but we don’t know what is happening to the prisoners, because of [the] lack of coverage.”

“I have been to Palestine 15 times so far. When I visited there during the second intifada, houses were demolished by bulldozers. People were arrested for political reasons,” she added.

In the last 30 minutes, a Q&A session was held. The attendees discussed Palestinian humanity issues with the three presenters.

Anna Ben-Hur, a junior student majoring in STPEC, attended the event because she felt connected to Palestinian issues.

“My family is part Israeli, although I am American. I have visited there and was confused about the conflict and genocide there,” she said. “This event successfully raised awareness of these issues. We cared about Palestinian rights.”

At the end of this event, the Prison Abolition Collective sold T-shirts for $15 to the audience, where they said they will make use of the profit to make more T-shirts for upcoming events.

Yurika Yamazaki can be reached at [email protected].

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Palestinian Prisoners Day brings attention to human rights violations”

1. Dr. Ed on April 22nd, 2019 2:45 pm

If a 12-year-old shoots someone, is he a child or a murderer?
    .
    What’s not being mentioned is that these “children” have done things that deserve incarceration. Go throw rocks at the UMPD and see what happens to you….

2. NITZAKHON on April 23rd, 2019 12:26 pm

SJP is a Muslim Brotherhood / Hamas front group whose goal is the destruction of Israel and another Holocaust. They’re not interested in coexistence; they’re interested in genocide.

Before you believe a priori what they say, learn about the forms of Sacred Deception in Islam:

Taquiyya:
    https://youtu.be/Vg5TY5CPrzk

Tawria:
    https://youtu.be/sSVxW8Jdq3w

The Hamas charter, specifically and explicitly, calls for Israel’s destruction. Not “coexistence”. Do you think they’d lie to you to achieve that aim? If not, why not?

3. NITZAKHON on April 23rd, 2019 12:41 pm

Tell me. You write about the “humanity”… where is their humanity when they stab a three-month old to death and there are dancing and celebrations?

• Palestinian Prisoners Day brings attention to human rights violations

Paparo: Signing with Premier Lacrosse League a “simple decision”

UMass softball’s seniors go out in style

UMass’ season ends in the A-10 tournament with 8-2 loss to Fordham

With its back to the wall, UMass delivers against Saint Louis

Minutewomen struggle in opening loss against GW, rally back to beat St. Louis in elimination bracket

Minutewomen seeking redemption in Atlantic 10 Tournament

UMass softball looks to win first A-10 tournament since 2012

UMass has season finale rained out after splitting double header with George Mason

‘Not Backing Down’ panel draws in hundreds of attendees despite legal controversy

UMass Permaculture Gardens available online in 360-degree view