UMPD Logs: Friday, Sept. 6 – Sunday, Sept. 8

Several summonses issued during UMass football game

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Sept. 6, 2019 to Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019.

Friday, Sept. 6, 2019

Liquor Law Violations

12:14 a.m.: Two 18-year-old parties were issued a summons for possessing liquor under the age of 21 on the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Sunset Avenue.

12:28 a.m.: A party with an open container of beer walked past an officer outside of Mahar Auditorium in Presidents Drive. The party was instructed to dump out the beer. The party did not have any more alcohol on his person.

6:37 p.m.: An empty Bud Light box was found at the south end of Lot 22A, west of University Drive.

7:07 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped in Lot 11 at Stadium Drive.

7:55 p.m.: A 19-year-old party and three 18-year-old parties were issued a summons for possessing liquor under the age of 21.

8:40 p.m.: A small amount of liquor was disposed of on Lot 32 East, south of Massachusetts Avenue.

8:52 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was seized for destruction in Lot 32 East, south of Massachusetts Avenue.

Traffic Stop

12:28 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective headlight on Commonwealth Avenue.

12:35 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating a vehicle with no headlights on Massachusetts Avenue by the Mullins Center.

12:43 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a safety violation on Windmill Lane.

12:53 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Eastman Lane.

7:40 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating on a sidewalk on Flint Circle.

5:54 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation on Massachusetts Avenue.

7:36 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a summons for failing to stop or yield and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue.

8:03 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on North Pleasant Street. The Amherst Police Department was advised.

8:43 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning a failure to use care when starting and stopping in Lot 43A (north of Totman Gymnasium) on Eastman Lane.

8:48 p.m.: A summons was issued a 19-year-old party for possessing liquor under the age of 21 and unlawful possession of fireworks. A summons was issued to a 20-year-old party for possession of liquor under the age of 21.

8:56 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an operation violation just past UMPD on East Pleasant Street. APD was advised.

9:11 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an operation violation on North Pleasant Street. APD was advised.

9:16 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment on North Pleasant Street.

9:51 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign and headlights violation on University Drive.

11:34 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a stop sign violation at Boyden Gymnasium on Commonwealth Avenue.

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:59 a.m.: A large group of people were walking in the middle of the road on Massachusetts Avenue by the Robsham Memorial Center for Visitors. The parties cleared the road and were advised to not walk in the road.

1:07 a.m.: Two parties were seen on Massachusetts Avenue in possession of folding chairs that were property of the university. The parties stated they had taken the chairs from the tent located at the Haigis Mall. The parties returned the chairs.

1:05 p.m.: A reporting party stated there was an older white male in his 60’s wearing a red shirt, blue hat and gray shorts taking pictures of female students at the South College on Hicks Way. When the reporting party made eye contact with the male party, the male party started to walk way. A search of the immediate area and the academic mall bus stop were negative.

11:57 p.m.: A reporting party stated he saw two white males approximately 17 years old carrying skateboards enter the Physical Science Building on North Pleasant Street using a door that had been propped open. The parties were gone on arrival.

Suspicious Vehicle

5:18 a.m.: A party was found sleeping in a vehicle in Lot 12 (west of Lot 25) on Forestry Way. The party checked ok.

7:51 p.m.: A suspicious vehicle was investigated in Lot 22A (west of University Drive). The parties present checked ok.

8:29 p.m.: A trunk was found open in Lot 32 East (south of Massachusetts Avenue). The trunk was then secured.

Traffic Enforcement

8:47 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for not having correct registration decal applied to the car. The correct decal was then applied. Another operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for defective equipment. Both stops occurred on Commonwealth Avenue.

9:44 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a crosswalk violation that occurred on Massachusetts Avenue. Another operator of a vehicle was stopped in front of Whitmore and was issued a written warning.

5:29 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a crosswalk violation on Commonwealth Avenue. An officer provided a courtesy transport to two parties from Commonwealth Avenue to Sylvan Residential Area.

6:47 p.m.: Two 19-year-old parties were issued a summons for possessing liquor under the age of 21 after a stop University Drive. A fake Connecticut driver’s license was seized.

Accident-Property Damage

9:10 a.m.: A reporting party stated he was backing out of his space when he “bumped” another vehicle and would like the police department to look at it. An officer state there was no damage to either vehicle, and the reporting party did not want to be involved in a hit and run.

2:03 p.m.: A sheriff’s vehicle was backed into on the third floor of the Campus Center Garage on Campus Center Way. An incident report was completed.

Annoying Behavior

11:13 a.m.: A reporting party from University Health Services on Infirmary Way stated that a student received a note at a dining commons that the UHS staff and the student thought was disturbing.

11:42 p.m.: A reporting party stated a large crowd of approximately 100 people were gathering in the visitor’s lot of Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue). The crowd was approximately 30 people walking from the area of Lincoln.

Lost/Found Property

11:21 a.m.: A U-card was found at University Health Services at Infirmary Way and was brought to the police station.

12:30 p.m.: An Acer Chromebook with cord in red fabric bag was turned in by staff at the Franklin Dining Commons on Stockbridge Road. It was brought to the station.

3:19 p.m.: An iPhone was found at the Haigis Mall on Presidents Drive and was brought to the station.

3:24 p.m.: A reporting party stated they found a uniformed armed forces ID in the Curry Hicks Cage on Hicks Way on Sunday, Aug. 31.

4:58 p.m.: A military ID was brought to the police station.

5:25 p.m.: A reporting party turned in a found cell phone. The cell phone was brought to the station.

Larceny

11:50 a.m.: A reporting party stated at the Conte Polymer Research Center on Governors Drive stated that a wireless phone and a speaker phone were stolen from his department.

3:44 p.m.: A reporting party stated he lost his wallet today around 1:10 p.m. The wallet was found and turned into the lost and found at Hasbrouck Laboratory on North Pleasant Street. The wallet was found in Hasbrouck Laboratory room 20. The reporting party stated $100 was missing from the wallet.

3:52 p.m.: An incident report was completed about a missing laptop and bag that was left behind yesterday. A reporting party called back and said his laptop was pinging to an address of 101 Eastman Lane.

5:34 p.m.: A reporting party stated that she left her clothes in a washing machine in the laundry room of Cance Hall on Fearing Street at around 3:00 p.m. The reporting party checked for the clothing around ten minutes ago, and it was gone. The clothing was found at 6:41 p.m.

Fire

1:29 p.m.: A maintainer at the Cance Hall on Fearing Street reported the edge of a poster in the second-floor elevator lobby was burned. Firetruck 1 was notified and documented his findings. An incident report was completed.

Assist Citizen

3:03 p.m.: A reporting party stated that for the past few months, while walking along the east side of the Campus Pond on North Pleasant Street, a woman walking in the opposite direction would veer into her path forcing her to move. On Wednesday, Sept. 4, the woman stopped and stopped and said to her “why are you crowding me?” The woman was described as a white female in her late 30s to early 40s and was 5’4 to 5’5 always carrying an umbrella. The reporting party is in the Hampshire House.

Community Outreach Officer

4:42 p.m.: An officer was out with the Amherst Police Department for a resource fair on Allen Street.

Parking Complaint

5:26 p.m.: A vehicle was parked in the white hash marks adjacent to a handicapped parking space by Goodell Hall. A parking ticket was issued.

5:47 p.m.: A reporting party stated a vehicle was blocking the loading dock to Hampden Dining Commons on Southwest Circle. The caller later stated the vehicle had moved.

Alarm Fire Trouble

6:14 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm was reported at the Knowles Engineering Building on Holdsworth Way. Firetruck 1 was notified and referred to techs.

Alarm-(Prefire)

9:00 p.m.: A pre-alarm was set off at James Dorm on Massachusetts Avenue. Firetruck 1 was notified and reset the alarm.

Alarm-Fire

10:38 p.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Hampshire Dining Commons on Southwest Circle. Firetruck 1 reset the alarm.

Assist Other PD’s

11:50 p.m.: APD was given assistance at Sunset Pizza.

Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:23 a.m.: Two 19-year-old parties were issued summons for possession of liquor under the age of 21 in Lot 32 West (south of Massachusetts Avenue).

1:57 a.m.: A small amount of marijuana was seized for destruction outside of Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

1:38 a.m.: An accidental or defective alarm went off at Van Meter Dorm on Clark Hill Road. Firetruck 1 was on scene. 

Traffic Stop

12:30 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for travelling the wrong way on a one way by the Whitmore Administration Building on Massachusetts Avenue.

12:53 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an overloaded vehicle on University Drive.

1:50 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield by Lot 33 on University Drive.

8:31 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a citation near Lot 25 on Commonwealth Avenue.

10:54 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an expired plate on Lincoln Avenue. The operator pulled into Lot 32 and stated they will renew it online.

1:15 p.m. A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for improper display on Eastman Lane.

1:51 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for driving over the speed limit.

7:24 p.m.: A party was pulled over and an officer seized the operator’s plates. The party had new plates in their glove box and said they would put the new plates on. The officer followed up and said plates were on the vehicle.

9:07 p.m.: A juvenile was issued a summons for arrest on Commonwealth Avenue. Ernie’s towed the vehicle.

9:35 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign on University Drive.

9:36 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was stopped on the sidewalk near the Southwest Tunnel. A verbal warning was issued for operating on the sidewalk.

10:29 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts for operating without headlights.

Traffic Enforcement

9:23 a.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue near the Mullins Center.

10:47 a.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle near the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Avenue.

6:38 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on Massachusetts Avenue near Sunset Avenue for an expired plate. An officer told them they could renew online. Another operator was pulled over on Commonwealth Avenue near Boyden Gymnasium and issued a warning for a passenger not wearing their seat belt.

Accident – Personal Injury

12:33 p.m.: An officer requested an ambulance for a pedestrian crossing the street who was struck by a vehicle near Lot 25 on Commonwealth Avenue and Governors Drive. Amherst Fire Department arrived on the scene and Ernie’s Towing impounded the vehicle. Damage was done to the windshield, vehicle and roadway. The scene was secured, processed and the victim was transported to the hospital.

Liquor Law Violation

1:16 a.m.: A small amount of liquor was destroyed on scene outside Mahar Auditorium on Presidents Drive.

1:35 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was dumped outside of John Adams Dorm on Fearing Street.

1:51 p.m.: A small amount of liquor was dumped near Warren McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive.

10:45 p.m.: A 19-year-old man from South Hadley was arrested in Lot 55 in Southwest and charged with a person under 21 possessing liquor. The ball was set and court will proceed on Tuesday at 8:30 a.m.

11:48 p.m.: A small amount of liquor was dumped out on Fearing Street.

911 Hang-Up Call

3:33 p.m.: People could be heard in the background of the help phone near Berkshire Dining Common, but nobody actually answered the phone. It was concluded that no one was indistress.

3:49 p.m.: An officer followed up on the call from the help phone near Berkshire Dining Common and stated no one was in the area.

11:28 p.m.: A call came in by the emergency phone outside of Thoreau Hall on Massachusetts Avenue. Loud voices were heard, but no one responded to the phone. An officer stated no one in the area.

Annoying Behavior

6:30 p.m.: A reporting party called in a group of skateboarders outside of the Fine Arts Center on Presidents Drive. An officer stated the skateboarders were filming a project. No damage was done to the surrounding area and the parties were sent on their way.

Intoxicated Person

12:46 a.m.: A party investigated in Lot 50F (west of Patterson, south of John Adams) on John Adams Road. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

1:20 a.m.: A reporting party stated a male party was intoxicated, semi-conscious and vomiting at Gorman Dorm on Butterfield Terrace. The intoxicated party declined medical services and was able to care for himself.

1:43 a.m.: An intoxicated person in Lot 50E (west of Patterson, north of John Adams) on John Adams Road did not meet protective custody criteria.

2:28 a.m.: A reporting party stated there was an intoxicated and conscious female party vomiting in the trash room of Emerson Dorm on Southwest Circle. The female party did not meet protective custody criteria.

11:35 p.m.: A reporting party states there was an intoxicated woman outside of the Fine Arts Center on Presidents Drive. She was conscious, alert and not vomiting at the time. An officer investigated the scene and found no one in the area that matched the description.

11:53 p.m.: A summons was issued to an 18-year-old in possession of alcohol on Sunset Avenue.

Alarm-Fire; Supervisory

1:57 a.m.: Firetruck 1 was notified of an accidental or defective supervisory alarm at Herter Hall on Presidents Drive.

Assist Agency

7:50 a.m.: UMPD Officers were stationed at the McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive for the UMass vs Southern Illinois football game. Beer cans were being thrown across from the southwest horseshoe. Parties were advised to not urinate in public, and a small amount of alcohol seized. A female party was arrested at the northside of Lot 11. A cell phone was turned into an officer. The cell phone was returned to its owner. A small amount of alcohol was seized at the bottom of Fearing Street. Two parties were found with an open can of beer. Both were minors. The beer, along with all other beers in a backpack, were dumped. A party and a group of two parties were found with an open can of beer. All parties were minors. The beers and any beers in backpacks were dumped. A party was reported threatening to fight others on the northwest corner of Lot 11. The party was gone on arrival. A party fell at the south entrance of Lot 11 on Stadium Drive. The party fell and emergency medical technicians were requested on scene for an evaluation of the party. The party checked ok and did not meet protective custody criteria. An officer walked out a party who was throwing items by the port-a-potties at the north end of Lot 11. A female party, possibly highly intoxicated, at the game was having an unknown medical issue. The party stated a preexisting condition had been agitated. She declined any medical attention. A party stated a single fainting episode and sustained a scrape on his left cheek. The party did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol but collapsed due to not eating any food. He was brought to the medical tent. Two parties were mutual combatants. An officer stated peace was restored.  A wallet was found south of the medical tent. Six summonses were issued for possession of liquor under the age of 21, two summonses were issued for disorderly conduct and a summons was issued for disorderly conduct and mistreatment or interference with a police dog or horse.

Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019

Traffic Stop

12:30 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failing to stop at a stop sign near Skinner Hall on North Pleasant Street. The offense took place on Massachusetts Avenue.

1:29 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle on University Drive for their speed.

2:04 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for the use of a U-turn when it is prohibited on Massachusetts Avenue and Kennedy Drive.

4:23 p.m.: A defective light on a vehicle was the cause of a verbal warning given to an operator on Massachusetts Avenue.

8:12 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

9:06 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

9:33 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights near Lot 32 W on Massachusetts Avenue.

9:54 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign.

10:04 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for failing to stop at a stop sign on University Drive.

Liquor Law Violation

12:31 a.m.: A 20-year-old party was issued a summons for arrest for possessing liquor under the age of 21. The party was arrested on Massachusetts Avenue near Lot 34 E.

12:53 a.m.: An officer met a party on the east side of Moore Hall in the Southwest Residential Area. Alcohol was destroyed on the scene.

Suspicious Vehicle

12:42 a.m.: A suspicious vehicle was investigated by an officer near Lot 34 E on Massachusetts Avenue. The officer states the party “checks ok.”

Intoxicated Person

12:54 a.m.: A reporting party states a female party in the lobby of Dickinson Hall in the Orchard Hill Residential Area was vomiting, but alert. An officer said she does not need medical attention and does not meet the protective custody criteria.

3:23 a.m.: A residential assistant stated a male party was intoxicated and conscious but threw up in the second floor bathroom of Kennedy Hall in the Southwest Residential Area. The party did not meet the protective custody criteria and was sent to his room.

Traffic Enforcement

1:11 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a driver on University Drive for not having their headlights on.

10:47 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a driver on Massachusetts Avenue for not having license and inspection information on hand.

5:07 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued to the operator of a vehicle for speeding on lower Massachusetts Avenue. Also on lower Massachusetts Avenue, an officer assisted a Hadley officer.

5:29 p.m.: A traffic citation was issued to the operator of a vehicle on University Drive.

Open Window/Door

1:40 a.m.: An officer secured a door that was open on the west side of Thompson Hall on Hicks Way.

911 Hang-Up Call

1:48 a.m.: The help phone near the west side of the Orchard Hill walkway was activated, but nothing was heard in the background. The sight was cleared, with no one in the area.

2:59 p.m.: Children playing in North Village Playground on North Pleasant Street activated the help phone. Officers checked the scene and nobody was in distress.

Lost/Found Property

10:10 a.m.: A party found a cell phone, debit card, U-Card, Charlie Card and a baseball hat in Cashin Hall on Eastman Lane. An attempt was made to contact the owner via email.

2:23 p.m.: A wallet was found by a groundskeeper near Lot 32 on Massachusetts Avenue and brought to the station. No address was listed.

Community Outreach Officer

12:56 p.m.: An officer helped install a car seat at the UMPD Station on East Pleasant Street.

Alarm (Prefire)

12:59 p.m.: An alarm was reset after sounding in Birch Hall in the Honors College by smoke resulting from cooking.

Vandalism

2:15 p.m.: A reporting party states his convertible’s top was cut open in Lot 49G (south of the water tanks) on Windmill Lane. Nothing was taken from the vehicle but wanted to report it to the police.

Parking Complaint

3:26 p.m.: A reporting party stated no Residential Life parking spaces were available in Lot 47 on Sylvan Drive. The operator of a vehicle was contacted and stated he would move the vehicle. Another operator of a vehicle was contacted and stated they would have another party move their vehicle.

Alarm – Fire TRBL

3:45 p.m.: Authorities were notified when the alert was activated near the Central Heating Plant.

5:23 p.m.: An alarm was activated in the Lederle Graduate Research Center on North Pleasant Street. The alarm was cleared.

Larceny

5:41 p.m.: A reporting party states sometime between Saturday, Aug. 30 and Friday, Sept. 6 a pair of Bluetooth headphones and an envelope with $250 were stolen from his vehicle parked in Lot 13A on Olympia Drive. No damage was reported and the doors of the vehicle were locked.

6:52 p.m.: A reporting party states his UMass bag and headphones were stolen from Worcester Dining Commons at around 8 p.m. the previous night. An officer said he would speak to the manager of Worcester to inquire about the headphones.

8:47 p.m.: A reporting party states her iPhone was stolen and tracked it to the Campus Center using the “Find my iPhone” app. The party later received an email that her phone was in Roots Cafe.

Suspicious Person/Activity

7:15 p.m.: There was a report of a “Korean-based cult” in Lot 32 E on Massachusetts Avenue.

7:36 p.m.: UMPD reported a suspicious person in a tree south of Lot 22 A on University Drive and was told to move along.

Alarm – Elevator

8:11 p.m.: Emergency maintenance advised the entrapment of one person in elevator four in John Adams Hall. The Amherst Fire Department and F1 were advised and helped the passenger out of the elevator.

Alarm – Fire

8:56 p.m.: An alarm was activated in the Campus Center, but the alarm was not sounding in the building. An officer, who was already on the scene for a separate call, stated this has happened in the past.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.