In an overtime match, UMass women’s soccer wins 2-1 against Rhode Island

Sini Laaksonen scores overtime game-winner
Nina+Walat+
Nina Walat

Losing on an overtime goal in their last game against George Washington, the Massachusetts women’s soccer team made sure to be the aggressors this time and converted a game-winning penalty kick by senior Sini Laaksonen.

In a slow tempo, defensive oriented game, both teams failed to consistently get opportunities but UMass (6-4-2, 3-2-0 Atlantic 10) leaned on the pressure their best offensive players provided and were ultimately able to get the better of the stout Rhode Island (3-7-2, 0-4-1 Atlantic-10) defense.

“They were really organized defensively and where we though they would be a little spread out at times, they were super compact, so I commend their coaching staff,” coach Jason Dowiak said. “We had a lot of good chances in the box and they blocked everything. It was really impressive. I’m happy to get that win because they worked really hard to keep up out.”

On a rainy, cloudy day, it was conceivable that the slow offensive game was a result of the weather and the subsequent lack of ball control. The Minutewomen, however, didn’t worry about it at all and don’t believe it was the cause of the slow, sloppy game.

“I don’t think the weather honestly had a part in the game,” Laaksonen said. “Obviously, last game it was different because we played in Virginia and it was 90 degrees, but we prefer this weather.”

At the 57th minute, the Minutewomen finally broke through and scored a transition goal by senior Rebecca Frisk, assisted by star freshman and leading scorer Melissa Kössler. UMass attacked the fatigued Rhode Island defense, and Frisk was able to run through and convert off a pinpoint pass by Kössler.

“It was a great ball from Melissa,” Dowiak said. “She really had to be patient and wait for the space to show itself. But I believe it really stemmed from a great defensive standoff where we won the possession and were able to counter quickly. Lauren [Bonavita] found Melissa and Becca [Frisk] gave a really clever touch to lift it over the keeper. All around a great moment.”

The Minutewomen surrendered another late goal near the end of regulation when the Rams found an opening and sophomore Rebecca D’Anna kicked one past UMass goalie Peyton Ryan. The Minutewomen went into overtime and faced a similar situation as their last game, but this time they took advantage of their opportunities.

The Rams fouled UMass in their own penalty box and awarded the Minutewomen an opportunity to seal the game. Dowiak called upon Laaksonen to win it and she delivered.

“We’ve worked on penalties in training and when we do it, we turn it into a competition and Sini has been winning,” Dowiak said. “So, there was no worries about her stepping up. She’s our captain and she loves the moment, honestly, so it’s easy to be confident in her.”

“I think with PKs it’s all about confidence and I think about it as since it’s a PK, there should be at least a 90 percent chance of you scoring,” Laaksonen said. So when I go there, I don’t ever think that I’m not going to score.”

Throughout the game, despite not scoring, junior Jenny Hipp was one of UMass’ leading creators, as she was against George Washington as well. She constantly put pressure on the defense and appears to have shrugged off her slow start to the season due to injury. UMass will look for her to contribute more as it aims to find more consistency and establish itself among the elite of the A-10.

The Minutewomen will get back on the pitch next Sunday as they face off against Dayton on Rudd Field at 1 p.m.

Moiz Saqib can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter @Moiz_Saqib