Springfield man found guilty in connection to 2017 Amherst assault

Bosmond receives two-year sentence

A Springfield man was found guilty and sentenced to two years in jail for reckless assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm, in connection to a Dec. 20, 2017 incident at the Mill Valley Apartments in Amherst.

Malek F. Bosmond, 26, was sentenced on Friday, Oct. 25 in Hampshire County Superior Court. According to a press release from Mary Carey, the communications director in the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, 18 months of Bosmond’s sentence are mandatory. Following his release, Bosmond will serve two years of probation on the reckless assault and battery with a dangerous weapon charge.

“We are pleased the jury held the defendant accountable for his reckless and dangerous conduct that night,” said the case prosecutor and First Assistant District Attorney Steven E. Gagne in the same press release.

In the 2017 incident, Amherst Police Department officers responded to a disturbance call and located a male victim with a gunshot wound and injuries from a metal pipe which were inflicted during a dispute. Akieli Brown, then 24, of Amherst was arrested at the scene for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Police continued looking for Bosmond, who was arraigned two days later, according to the Amherst Bulletin. According to MassLive, the victim told police he did not know either Bosmand or Brown.

The trial began on Monday, Oct. 21. Bosmond was acquitted of two additional charges, an assault by means of a dangerous weapon charge and witness intimidation. Before returning the verdicts, the jury deliberated for approximately four hours, Carey said.

In February, Brown admitted to sufficient facts for a guilty finding for a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, according to MassLive. He also admitted to hitting the victim with a pipe. Brown’s case was continued without finding for two years.

Kathrine Esten can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @KathrineEsten.