UMPD Logs: Friday, Oct. 4 – Sunday, Oct. 6

Several arrests were made
(Maxwell Zaleski/Daily Collegian)

The following police logs are from the University of Massachusetts Police Department from Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 to Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019.

Friday, Oct. 4 2019

Lost/Found Property

10:09 a.m.: A reporting party stated she found a credit card on her way into the Life Science Lab on Thatcher Road at the south side of the building. The card was referred to the owner.

Assist Citizen

10:33 a.m.: An officer provided directions to Fernald Hall on Stockbridge Rd.

4:33 p.m.: A party at the lobby of the UMPD station on East Pleasant St. stated she would like to speak to an officer to file harassment charges. The party stated she was harassed earlier in the day, and stated she felt safe at this time. An incident report was completed.

911 Hang-up Call

1:18 p.m.: A call came in on the 911 line from the Durfee Conservatory on Stockbridge Rd. The call sounded like someone was trying to answer, but it was too soft to make out. No one was found in the area.

5:50 p.m.: Voices were heard from a 911 call from Cashin Hall on Eastman Lane. No one answered the call, and no one was found in an area search.

Alarm (Pre-fire)

3:06 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 notices a pre-alarm showing at Elm Hall at the Commonwealth Honors College on Commonwealth Ave. Fire Engine 1 stated the alarm was clear at 3:12 p.m.

4:52 p.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of a pre-alarm that went off at the Campus Center on Campus Center Way. The alarm was referred to techs.

Traffic Stop

3:26 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for texting and driving on Infirmary Way.

4:33 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for texting while driving on North Pleasant St. Amherst Police Department was notified.

4:59 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation at the Mullins Center on Commonwealth Ave.

5:12 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection violation at the Physical Plant on Commonwealth Ave.

6:18 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a crosswalk violation on Fearing St.

6:57 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a written traffic warning for an expired registration in Lot 50F on John Adams Rd. The was attempted to be renewed online.

7:01 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a defective tail light on lower Massachusetts Ave.

7:12 p.m.: Hadley Police Department seized alcohol from an operator on University Drive.

8:06 p.m.: HPD issued a summons to the operator of a vehicle for transporting liquor under the age of 21 and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle on South Maple St.

9:15 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning on University Drive on Fearing St. and the operator’s alcohol was seized.

9:33 p.m.: Summonses were issued to two parties at Lot 44E (Southeast of Sylvan Residential Area) on Eastman Lane.

Traffic Enforcement

3:27 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Eastman Lane. Two other verbal warnings were issued for offenses on Eastman Lane, one at 3:50 p.m. and one at 4:27 p.m. Two traffic citations were given for two other offenses.

4:31 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a crosswalk violation on Massachusetts Ave.

Liquor Law Violations

7:09 p.m.: Alcohol was seized for destruction from one party at Lot 33A on University Drive.

7:41 p.m.: Alcohol checks were given to five parties at Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Ave. Two summonses were issued.

Parking Complaint

7:36 p.m.: A reporting party stated there were no Residential Life spots available at Lot 50G on Washington Road. Parking tickets were issued to two vehicles in Residential Life parking spots.

Intoxicated Person

11:40 p.m.: An intoxicated female party was reported in the bathroom of Cance Hall on Fearing St. The party was conscious, semi-alert and had been vomiting. Amherst Fire Department was requested and came to the scene. The party was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton.

Suspicious Person/Activity

11:45 p.m.: A 19-year-old male from Bronx, NY was arrested for disorderly conduct and possession of liquor under the age of 21 at Lot 32 West on Massachusetts Ave.

Saturday, Oct. 5 2019

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:14 a.m.: A suspicious party was found of Mahar Auditorium on the north side of the building. The party checked ok.

Intoxicated Person

12:15 a.m.: An intoxicated party at the intersection of Presidents Drive and Massachusetts Ave. was transported to Cooley Dickinson Hospital.

11:23 p.m.: An intoxicated female party was reported at Kennedy Dorm on Massachusetts Ave. The party was conscious and semi-alert. The party did not meet protective custody criteria.

Lost/Found Property

12:25 a.m.: A maintainer brought lost keys found at Bartlett Hall on Hicks Way to the UMPD station.

4:20 p.m.: A walk-in reported lost cell phone with a UMass I.D. from Hampshire Dining Commons on Southwest Circle. The party stated they walked from Hampshire Dining Commons to Berkshire Dining Commons, spoke with a friend and then walked to Lot 33. They retraced their steps and could not locate the cell phone. No cell phone had been turned in that day. The reporting party gave info to contact a husband if the phone was turned in during the officer’s shift. The reporting party stated they were able to locate the phone to Thoreau Hall. The reporting party believed it may be a student co-worker who found the phone and intends on returning it tomorrow. The reporting party tried calling the phone several times, but it would go to voicemail. The officer notified a report would be filed if the property is not turned into UMPD or gets back to her tomorrow.

Liquor Law Violations

1:30 a.m.: An 18-year-old female from Barnstable, MA was arrested for possession of liquor under the age of 21 and the possession or use of a false or stolen license at the Studio Arts Building bus stop on North Pleasant St.

11:58 p.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed at Sunset Ave.

Alarm-Fire; Supervisory

1:37 a.m.: Fire Engine 1 was notified of a supervisory alarm that went off at Lincoln Apartments Building 8 on Lincoln Ave.

Traffic Stop

1:40 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights at Lot 34 on Massachusetts Ave.

2:46 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for no plate light on Southwest Circle.

4:11 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a marked lanes violation on Lot 21 Access Rd.

5:36 p.m.: Alcohol was seized from the operator of a vehicle on Route 9 in Amherst.

6:01 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for an inspection and open container violation. Marijuana was seized for destruction.

6:56 p.m.: Four parties were issued summonses on Lot 21 Access Rd.

9:13 a.m.: Alcohol was seized from the operator of a vehicle on Route 9.

9:31 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without a license on Governors Drive.

9:46 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to illuminate headlights on the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. and Commonwealth Ave.

9:51 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on University Drive.

9:53 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for failure to display a license plate or register vehicle on Route 9.

10:06 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield on Commonwealth Ave.

10:12 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on University Drive.

11:42 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for operating without headlights on Massachusetts Ave.

11:52 p.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for a failure to stop or yield at the Dallas Mall on University Drive.

Suspicious Vehicle

1:56 a.m.: A suspicious vehicle seen at Southwest Circle checked ok.

9:08 p.m.: A suspicious vehicle was seen at Lot 43A (north of Totman Gymnasium) on Eastman Lane. The party was an Uber driver waiting for his next passenger.

Parking Complaint

9:10 a.m.: A reporting party stated there is a vehicle that is double parked, making it difficult for buses to turn. An officer stated there were no vehicles double parked.

12:42 p.m.: A reporting party stated he had a permit to park at Lot 53 on Southwest Circle but all the spaces were filled with non-permit vehicles. An officer stated he will be issuing some tickets, and the reporting party will have his vehicle on a concrete pad until a space opens up.

9:27 p.m.: A party called in that there were no Residence Director sports available at Lot 50G on Washington Road. The party was parked in front of the trash cans. The spot became available at 9:39 p.m.

Accident-Property Damage

9:50 a.m.: A reporting party stated there is a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Clark Hill Rd. and East Pleasant St. An officer stated the accident is in APD jurisdiction and requested AFD for a coolant leak. Two officers stood by to assist with traffic until AFD arrived on the scene.

Traffic Enforcement

10:40 a.m.: The operator of a vehicle was issued a verbal warning for speeding on Governors Drive.

Larceny

1:02 p.m.: A reporting party states a reusable grocery bag and food was taken at Machmer Hall on Hicks Way.

Assist Other PD

2:33 p.m.: HPD stated there was an irate male party at the Salvation Army store on Russel St. demanding cash that he put down on some furniture yesterday. HPD stated when the male showed up today to pick up his furniture, it was sold and the store is now offering credit. The male party was in the back of the store at the loading dock in a red F150. The subject was advised to speak with management on Monday. UMPD spoke with the party and was advised it was a civil matter and that he could speak with the manager on Monday to attempt to resolve the issue.

4:20 p.m.: UMPD provided assistance to HPD at the Applebees in Hadley.

Alarm-Fire Trouble

3:53 p.m.: A fire alarm went off at the W.E.B. Du Bois Library on Hicks Way. Fire Engine 1 was notified, and the alarm reset on its own.

911 Hang-up Call

6:21 p.m.: A 911 call came from the help phone at Lot 71 (west of the Whitmore Administration Building) on Massachusetts Ave. Nothing could be heard in the call, and nobody was found in the area.

Assist Citizen

10:17 p.m.: A party called in stating that the tires on her vehicle had been slashed at Lot 49B (across from Dickinson Hall) on Orchard Hill Drive, and that this was the second time this week that this happened. The party stated she felt safe at the time and would like to speak to an officer. An officer requested a camera be brought to the lot.

Suspicious Object

10:20 p.m.: A suicide note was found in the dirt outside of Kennedy Hall on Massachusetts Ave. No identifying marks or names could be found on the note. The area checked ok.

Sunday, Oct. 6 2019

Traffic Stop

12:02 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for an equipment violation that impeded operation of a motor vehicle on North Pleasant St. A passenger was removed from the back seat.

12:04 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a defective headlight at the Lot 21 Access Rd.

12:17 a.m.: A driver was issued a verbal warning for improper display of a plate decal on Commonwealth Ave.

12:21 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a driver with no headlight and a bad inspection sticker on North Pleasant St.

12:23 a.m.: A driver was taken out of their vehicle for a field sobriety test. The vehicle was subsequently towed from the intersection of University Drive and Fearing St. by an Ernie’s tow truck and impounded.

12:40 a.m.: A vehicle on Eastman Lane was issued a verbal warning for a defective tail light.

1:06 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to a vehicle going the wrong way on a one-way street by the intersection of University Drive and Fearing St.

1:57 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle with no headlights on Commonwealth Ave.

2:09 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle that failed to yield on North Pleasant St.

2:56 a.m.: A 19-year-old man from Waltham was arrested after a failed field sobriety test on North Pleasant St. An Ernie’s tow truck was called to the scene to take the vehicle. The male individual was charged with an OUI liquor violation, improperly using a mobile phone while driving and exceeding the posted speed limit.

12:53 a.m.: A verbal warning was given for a vehicle that did not stop at a stop sign on East Pleasant St.

6:37 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued for defective equipment on Governors Drive.

8:57 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle with defective equipment at the Lot 21 Access Rd.

9:04 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a stop sign violation on University Drive.

10:29 p.m.: A verbal warning was issued for a vehicle driving with no headlights at Totman Gymnasium by Eastman Lane.

Suspicious Person/Activity

12:36 a.m.: A vehicle had pulled off Stadium Drive south of McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The operator of the vehicle stated he was an Uber driver and had just stopped to use one of the nearby porta-potties.

12:55 a.m.: A verbal warning was issued to individuals who were in the lower level of Bartlett Hall and told to leave the building.

2:37 a.m.: A 49-year-old male individual was caught trespassing inside the Integrated Learning Center and was transported to the UMPD station. He was “camped out” in the lobby of the ILC at the time of his arrest and had previously trespassed on Aug. 8 of this year.

5:24 p.m.: A reporting party states that a male party entered Room 149 in the music wing of the Fine Arts Center claiming to be a professor. The male individual spoke incoherently, “making other people uncomfortable.” UMPD say he was a white male in his 30s with ripped jeans and a baseball hat, “possibly under the influence of something.” An officer approached the male individual on the pond side of the FAC and he was issued a trespass.

Liquor Law Violations

12:46 a.m.: A small amount of alcohol was destroyed on scene outside Thatcher Dorm.

Intoxicated Person

1:47 a.m.: A female individual under the influence of alcohol was checked on by police in Lot 50G outside Washington Dorm.

911 Hang-up Call

1:47 a.m.: A call came into UMPD and the 911 operator heard voices, but no answer. The call was traced back to Maple House in the Commonwealth Honors College. Police checked around the area, but the search came back negative.

4:03 p.m.: A 911 hang-up call came into UMPD from the help phone by Cashin House near Eastman Lane. The situation checked okay.

Disabled Motor Vehicle

2:27 a.m.: UMPD checked on a vehicle at Lot 31 by Governors Drive which appeared disabled. The involved party was looking for his cell phone charging cord.

Suspicious Vehicle

3:47 a.m.: Services were rendered for a vehicle at Lot 32 E south of Massachusetts Ave.

4:33 a.m.: A suspicious vehicle checked okay at Lot 33A, west of University Drive.

Lost/Found Property

4:12 a.m.: A debit card was found outside John Quincy Adam Dorm. The card was brought to the UMPD station.

Alarm (Fire Trouble)

4:45 a.m.: Fire engine 1 was notified for an accidental or defective alarm at the Central Heating Plant.

11:09 a.m.: An accidental or defective fire alarm went off at Oak House in the Commonwealth Honors College.

Assist Agency

7:17 a.m.: Services were rendered to assist with traffic at Lot 33A

Alarm (Pre-fire)

12:54 p.m.: Fire engine 1 was notified for an accidental or a defective fire alarm at Butterfield Dorm. Fire engine 1 determined the alarm went off due to cooking in room 139.

8:38 p.m.: Fire engine 1 was notified for an accidental or defective fire alarm in Butterfield Dorm. Fire engine 1 reset the alarm.

Fraud

1:51 p.m.: A reporting party from James Dorm stated she replied to a fake job offering and her account ended up drained.

Larceny

4:18 p.m.: A reporting party states that her bicycle was stolen some time the prior night from the bike rack by Mary Lyon Dorm. The bike is described as a purpled MTB with a green “Ultimate” sticker. The bike was valued at $200.

7:02 p.m.: A reporting party states that he locked his phone in a locker on the lower level of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library around 2:40 p.m. When the reporting party went back to retrieve his phone it was gone. The phone was described as a red iPhone with a wallet on the back. Later on, the party was able to locate his phone, the party had left it in a different locker.

Traffic Enforcement

7:58 p.m.: A traffic warning was issued for a vehicle with Massachusetts plates on University Drive by Pierpont Dorm.

8:10 p.m.: Services were rendered on Massachusetts Ave.

Chris McLaughlin can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @ChrisMcLJournal. Will Mallas can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @willmallas.