It’s better to be busy

The days we are constantly on the move are the ones that teach us the most

We all have that one day of the week that we absolutely dread. It’s that one day where your schedule is filled from morning to night and you don’t get any time in between.

Naturally, we hate those days. We don’t want to wake up in the morning knowing we won’t return to our beds until we have crossed out each task. However, as tiring, stressful and sometimes taxing these days can be, they often tend to be the most fulfilling ones.

It is much easier to favor the days where there isn’t a lot demanded from us. We, as people, instinctively enjoy the feeling of accomplishment. So, when it comes to a lighter schedule, we usually have higher expectations that we will complete all that we said we would. However, constantly keeping yourself at a comfortable level is not going to advance you in any sort of way. In other words, the days that are easier to get through are good to have, but are also not the only days one should have.

When we are constantly on the move, we learn more. We prove to ourselves what we are capable of and what we can take on. When deadlines or superiors are involved in our schedules, we can surprise ourselves that we can fulfill all our given tasks. Having a busy schedule can be intimidating, but a good mindset and motivation help us succeed.

For me, Wednesdays are the most challenging. I dread falling asleep on Tuesday nights because I know how heavy the schedule is that awaits me when I wake up in the morning. However, it is Wednesday nights that I feel like my greatest self. I push myself through the chaos of my schedule and afterwards, not only have I accomplished so much, but I find myself with a more positive outlook on who I am and the things that I am doing.

It may seem crazy that a busy schedule can help self-worth, but it truly can. Staying busy and achieving the goals we set for ourselves within our daily schedules assists us in our search for long term happiness. When we only choose the simple days, we bring ourselves temporary joy. However, when we push ourselves every once in a while or on that one day of the week, we are advancing ourselves, our endurance, our abilities, and ultimately our long-term happiness.

Additionally, when we are getting things done, we leave ourselves less time for boredom and overthinking. Staying busy can often block out negative thoughts, whether they be toward ourselves or others. This can be due to lack of time, or it can be because when we are working hard, we do not feel the need to be negative.

Staying busy does not just apply to our schedules. There can be points in the year when we may not have much on our to-do lists. During these times it’s important to look at one’s schedule with the question, “What can I get done that I have been meaning to do?” These periods of time are good for accomplishing tasks that have been cast to the side. Just because we may not have jam-packed schedules does not mean we get an excuse to relax all the time. Long periods of time of not doing or accomplishing much can lead to detrimental effects on our overall wellbeing. Therefore, it is important we keep ourselves moving even during the periods of time when we don’t have too much to do.

Ultimately, having a busy schedule is a good thing. We still should give ourselves the time that we need to take care of ourselves, as well as enjoy certain times of relaxation. However, it is important to keep working hard so that we can actually enjoy our time off.

Makailey Cookis is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at [email protected].